PDA

View Full Version : What do you think it's worth?

ccc
10-10-2014, 14:16
Gentlefolk; some time ago, I posted a thread trying to find out what was wrong with my 1997 K1500, 6.5TD. I received lots of help but was unable to determine the problem. I was and am amazed at how much knowledge resides within the membership of this site and I am very grateful for all the help. I need your help one more time. I have decided it would be best if I sold the truck to someone who would enjoy the experience (something I no longer do) but I don’t know what a fair price would be. I know how to look up the book values etc but candidly that isn’t very relevant to my situation since the vehicle isn’t running. There is some kind of fuel distribution issue. Either it needs an IP or something within the fuel system. I have tried all the normal stuff – proven FSD, new fuel shut off valve, filter stuff etc.
Here is the story on the truck. About ten years ago, I took the truck to a local vo-tech school that supposedly rebuilt the motor completely. I gave them $6,500 for parts which was to do a complete out of frame overhaul. About six months after I got the truck back, the principal of the school called and asked me to come in for a discussion. He asked me what they had done to the truck and how it was paid for. I told him what I knew, he thanked me and two weeks later, they fired the head of the dept. and closed the diesel side of the school. They didn’t and won’t tell me why, so while I assume they did what I gave them the funds for, I don’t really know for sure. After that, I put about 10,000 miles on the motor before the fuel issue came up that prompted the aforementioned thread. I bring all this up because if the motor really only has about 10,000 miles on it since full overhaul, it is probably worth more than if not but I don’t really know. The body of the truck is average for it’s age as is the interior. There is one large dent on the passenger side of the bed behind the wheel well and there is rust through on the rocker panel behind the front wheels. This truck has a A/C, transmission cooler, posi-track rear end, 4x4 and auto transmission. If I recall correctly, there is about 170,000 mi on the truck. My question is, what should I ask for the truck? I would like to get a fair price for it but I don’t want to cheat anyone either. Any help is appreciated and thank you all for your help in the past. This is a great bunch of people.

arveetek
10-10-2014, 14:53
Typically, I see non-running 6.5L trucks of this vintage sell in the $1500 to $2000 range. If you can get any more than that, you're doing great.

It's unfortunate, but the fact that it is non-running tremendously impacts the value of the vehicle.

Best of luck!

Casey

phantom309
10-10-2014, 16:06
$6500 is a lot of money,...

I,m sure there is an amount in your mind that you think the truck is worth,.

I still think you have an electrical problem,. as much as you are determined to say fuel problem,.

Shame you have explored fuel side of things but not the easier electrical side of things,.

you have my sympathy,.

I wish you best of luck with your sale,...

ccc
10-10-2014, 21:17
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. Phantom, I really don't have an amount in mind and I only describe it as a fuel delivery issue because it isn't delivering fuel. It may well be electrical, the fact of the matter is, it is more complicated than I am capable of fixing and I need to face that. I might feel differently about it if I had someplace to work on it inside but I don't. Working on it outside, particularly with the weather turning..... Casey, thank you for the numbers, that's what I will work with. It is what it is. I appreciate you all.