PDA

View Full Version : Turbo shot?

Desert 6.5
05-22-2005, 09:13
Recently noticed lack of power, no boost, and black smoke. Checked vacuum, every where including at pump. Got a reading of zero. Went with turbo-master since this vacuum pump was only 2 years old. Seem to have alot of oil on turbo fins and coming out of seams in that area to include on turbo housing itself. Checked the play in turbo, seems to be good from what I have read on other posts.

Should the wastegate arm "flop" back and forth or have resistance? Mine has zero resistance. What should I look for when I pull turbo off? Its about to come off either way to see what's going on inside there. Any input would be appreciated. Oh, 152K miles, I believe turbo and all realted is original. I've had it since 90K miles. Thanx

GMC Hauler
05-22-2005, 09:53
Your wastegate arm should move back and forth freely with nothing attached.

When you say oil on the fins, I take it you mean on the intake side. Is there any oil in the intake tube directly downstream of the CDR (crankcase depression regulator)? If your engine has excessive blowby or your air filter is clogged, this causes a higher than normal flow from the CDR. Oil gets in and leaves the turbo and intake oily.

Are you sure you had the turbo master adjusted correctly? I installed one per directions and ran for several months without a gage. When I did get gages on, I noticed my boost pressre was lower than I expected it to be. It takes a bit of adjustment on the spring to build up pressure.

Also check and ensure you don't have any leaks at the intake manifold.

What boost pressures have you seen crusing, full acceleration, towing before this problem?

Desert 6.5
05-22-2005, 10:13
The wastegate should also move freely while engine is running also, I hope.
There is oil from the CDR, seems to be more than usual though, maybe just me thinking wrong though. I know I do have some blowby from engine. Air filter is good.

I was running up 7 max on boost before during hard acceleration, and cruising on hwy was 3-5 or so. Haven't towed in a long time with it. Had noticed fluctuations before on and off (no boost or low boost) but just thought it was the plastic line leaking to the guage since it seemed to run about the same. Now, guage reqisters nothing and the smoke and lack of power tends to make me believe it.

On turbo master: is it only spring adjustment or is there more to worry, mess with?

GMC Hauler
05-22-2005, 10:51
Your boost levels sound good before you had the problem. While idiling, the wastegate does move freely.

The spring adjustment just allows you to raise or lower your levels of boost. But with what you were seeing, I think you had it adjusted correctly.

Sounds to me like your boost gage would be reading correctly with the other indications you have.

You could disconect the CDR hose that leads out of the CDR to the intake, and direct it someplace else to verify is that is indeed the source of the oil. You would need to plug the hole in the intake hose also. Do that, clean the intake hose and turbo blades, and then check in a few days or week. If there is little or no oil, then the CDR was the source of the oil.

Do you hear any turbo noise while accelerating?

I can think of only two things: a leak, or your wastegate is broken.

Desert 6.5
05-22-2005, 11:25
Got boost :D It was a combination of the turbo master not working on the hole recommended, and the guage line being clogged with oil. Had to adjust the mounting on the turbo master 2 holes from where directions said to. Runs up to 7 or so psi on hard acceleration. Maybe a tad higher but close to seven. That is just above where I was prior to any problems.

Thanx for the speedy answers today, kept me from tearing apart half the engine out of frustration. I was bound and determined to find something out today.

Now of the check the pyro guage that stopped working.

GMC Hauler
05-22-2005, 11:30
Good to hear. tongue.gif