PDA

View Full Version : How to get engine out of truck

Yehoshua
10-12-2014, 17:16
Hi, I am trying to rebuild my 6.5 and this is my first time doing any type of rebuild. After you get everything unhooked, what is the proper way to lift the engine out of the truck with a hoist? Where do you hook up to on the engine?Thanks

Robyn
10-12-2014, 18:42
The 6.2 and 6.5 have lifting brackets at the right rear and left front (Factory)

A good 3/8 inch heavy chain with good hooks attached to a chain hoist will do the trick.

Be sure all the converter bolts are out and the bell housing bolts (6) are removed.

Place a jack with a piece of plywood or ??? under the tranny pan to support it.

Lift carefully, making sure nothing snags.

Use a couple long bolts through the lower bell housing bolt holes and piece of 2x4 across the torsion bars to hold the tranny after engine is out.

Removing the radiator prior to the engine is advisable to prevent damage and make more room.

Good luck

Missy

Dvldog8793
10-12-2014, 18:54
Howdy
Some things that helped me....

- Remove the motor mounts to lower the engine to make removing the bellhousing bolts easier.
- Use a 36inch + extension with a wobble socket on the bell housing bolts going from the back.
- Don't forget the oil cooler lines and grounding straps.;)
- If it seems like it isn't moving....find out why, don't just keep cranking.
- Have at least two good friends standing around drinking your beer to tell you how everything should be done.:D
Good luck!

Yehoshua
10-12-2014, 19:08
Thanks for the quick replies... That info is just what I needed