PDA

View Full Version : Fuel up then Limp mode

tx dave
10-17-2014, 13:23
:mad: I stopped for fuel Wednesday, put only 5 gallons in becus the tanker was there filling the ground tanks. Made it about 4 miles and it went into limp mode. stayed running tho. Limped home, changed the fuel filter. It ran great as usual. Started to work this morning, 5 miles out and limp mode again, only another 3 miles to work so 25 MPH and 30 minutes I got there. I called the station where I fueled, got the Corp. #. Filing a claim and took it to the stealer to see what happened. 3 or 4 days before they can look at it. Has anyone else ever filed a claim and got the repairs paid for? I"m hoping it was the fuel, this is a 2001 DM, My forever truck.

tx dave
10-20-2014, 17:09
Up date. dropped the truck at the dealer. They say its the FICM and its running on 4 cylinders. Well it was running the same way when I changed the fuel filter, then it ran normal for about 5 miles then limp mode again. But you know dealerships. (Were not mechanics we can only do what this machine says). Well I told them to change the part but if it still did the same think I wasn't paying for the $1600.00 part. So I'll see what they find hopefully tomorrow.

rapidoxidationman
10-20-2014, 21:07
Quite a coincidence that an electronic part would fail when you have a pretty good idea that you got some dirty fuel. Did you save the original fuel filter? Can you cut into it to see what is inside?

tx dave
10-22-2014, 04:04
Update. went to the dealership yesterday. New FICM wouldn't work. Suprize me. said the ECM would not let it be programed. I thought it was plug and play. They said, they were waiting on Tech support call from GM to see if there is another update they weren't aware of. I told them to look for a wire burnt or broken at the FICM. Reply: we have to do what the computer is telling us to do. They have to get it running before they can figure something else out. Yes I cut the old (3 months less than 2000 miles filter open yesterday), it was black on most of the outer filter but the little one was clean. My theory, It 's not getting enough fuel to trigger the FICM to operate properly. I'll give them today to figure something out. Where is all the GM Tech supports. Luck I have good friends with extra vehicles so I'm not stranded.

Kennedy
10-22-2014, 06:36
So what DTCs are being set?

More Power
10-22-2014, 11:17
A fuel filter element that appears somewhat dark is fairly common and usually normal in filters nearing their change schedule. The black is usually asphaltines in the fuel - insoluable petroleum particles.

Back 20+ years ago I filled up at a brand new just built diesel fuel station on my way out of town. Made it about 150 miles before the truck began running like it had a dirty fuel filter - that I just changed prior to that trip. Long story short, the new tanks at the fuel station apparently had a ton of crap in them, and I got a lot of it. It took a few fuel filter changes to work through it.

tx dave
10-23-2014, 13:44
codes set 0206, 1261, we went through the procedures yesterday. I'm not complaining about the dealership work or abilities. I just can't think the fuel and electric aren't connected. The service manager agrees and is getting the paperwork I need to sumit for repair reimbursment. Hopefully it will help. New territory never had this happen. Maybe it is just coinencidental, I just have my doublts.

tx dave
10-23-2014, 13:49
The filter was not somewhat dark. It was black. I had 1176 miles on it. The one I took off was put on by the dealer when they replaced the filter housing the 1st week of July.

6.6Turbo
11-21-2014, 12:25
is it the injector harness recall? the harness were short and caused them to vibrate loose on the #1 and 7 injector. this caused to run on 4 cylinders.