PDA

View Full Version : 94, 3/4 ton, 6.5 turbo, starter bolt hole broken

silverslayer
10-28-2014, 05:35
Bought a nice truck, first diesel truck I've owned. Two weeks later starter starts grinding and truck won't start. Replaced starter, still grinding. Removed and found bolt hole on block ear cracked. Tried welding and piece broke off exposing bolt hole to top of threads. Questions: Can I use metal/ceramic mix and tap hole and use helix coil? Is there another starter that uses third hole outboard of block ear?
This is my only vehicle. Not a lot of cash to take to a shop. Hoping someone can help! Thanks

Yukon6.2
10-28-2014, 08:45
Hi siverslayer
Welcome to the page.
First the good news,lots of knowledge on this site to help keep your classic running.
Then the bad news.......
There is no alternate starter for other holes.
You will either have to find a good welder that can weld up the block in the truck,or.....
Pull the motor to have the block fixed or replaced.
Once you have the hole fixed you will need to get the front bracket for the starter.If that bracket isn't in place you will break starter bolts or the block.Also use new starter bolts,the correct ones will have a knurled section which helps them stay torqued and tight.Get the correct ones from GM if possible.The bracket may be still available from GM.There are two different ones.There is a gear reduction starter and a direct drive.They both use the same mounting holes on the block.The gear reduction starter is a little lighter in weight.
Good luck.
Thomas

silverslayer
10-28-2014, 09:56
Thanks. The bracket was there, but bolt that connects the starter to the bracket was missing the nut. I have a 70 amp ac welder, 1/8 nickel sticks, but can't run a bead. Any help on what I'm doing?

a5150nut
10-28-2014, 18:47
Thanks. The bracket was there, but bolt that connects the starter to the bracket was missing the nut. I have a 70 amp ac welder, 1/8 nickel sticks, but can't run a bead. Any help on what I'm doing?

On cast iron you can't just run a bead. You have to preheat what your trying to weld. Best find someone who knows what to do as a block can become very costly very fast.

Dvldog8793
10-28-2014, 19:09
Howdy
I have welded a few blocks:rolleyes:....MUCH easier and higher success rate with it out of the truck. Not only is pre-heat needed but a slow cool down as well. to effectively weld cast is a tricky process....lots of stress risers and material differences can be a pain.
IMHO....find a shop that can do it for you and will give you some sort of guarantee.
IMHO....Epoxy is not an option....

Probably not what you wanted to hear but I hope it helps!

silverslayer
10-29-2014, 11:36
Thanks for the input. Not what I wanted to hear, but better the right way then wrong way.

phantom309
11-01-2014, 12:17
Thanks for the input. Not what I wanted to hear, but better the right way then wrong way.

I would try a stud epoxied into place,.and a stud on the other side too,.

i think with two studs and the tail bracket it might hold,.