PDA

View Full Version : 6.5L Air Cleaner Options

campionc
10-28-2014, 16:08
I want to change out my air cleaner setup, partly because all the bolts/screws are loose in the first place, but I'm also looking for a little more performance. I can't see spending almost $300 on a cold air kit when it looks so similar to stock.

Does tube diameter make a difference? How about with the turbo to intake connector?

I'd like to keep the engine bay heat out and either use the stock fender vent thing or figure out how to move the battery and draw air from the front. I see silicone hoses all over the place, but don't know enough to choose what I really need. I also don't know the stock diameters, which I need.

Does anybody have suggestions or a list of parts, or even willing to send me a custom rig if it's not too expensive? Any information or help would be greatly appreciated.

1998 Chevrolet K3500 Silverado DRW Ext Cab 6.5L TO
Diamond Eye 4" Exhaust System
High Performance Cooling System
Relocated PM'D
Heath Diesel Towing ECM w/ Turbomaster
Aftermarket Glow Plug Harness

arveetek
10-29-2014, 11:52
The 1997 and later air boxes are actually pretty good. In fact, I upgraded my stock 1995 flat-panel air box to a 1997 round filter box.

Personally, I'd just stick with what you've got.

Casey

AKMark
10-29-2014, 12:14
The other options other than stock all allow more dirt in to give you more flow.

Better to protect the motor and save your money for real upgrades.

94 at Large
10-31-2014, 12:29
When Banks had a 3" turbo back exhaust (many years ago:)), it came with a scoop that would replace the one in the fender. I didn't bother with replacing the fender scoop although I did pull it out. I took the Banks scoop, cut a hole in the fender, attached scoop and now have all the fresh air the turbo desires. I didn't pipe it to the air cleaner just made sure the hole pretty much lined up as the fender itself acts like a duct to the air cleaner anyway. As for having issues with more dirt cause it ain't stock, that's kinda what air filters are for. Anyway, I've had no problems to date and with regular filter changes have noticed nary an increase in dirtiness.

Do a search as some have cut louvers and other mods to get outside air in.

campionc
10-31-2014, 20:28
Thanks everyone! I think it will remain stock, but maybe I'll just buy a better air filter, like K&N or some other performance brand. I appreciate the replies!

Dvldog8793
10-31-2014, 20:38
Howdy
If you get a chance read up on the air filter testing done by staff of this web sight.
K&N might not be the best deal....
I retained factory airbox, used the air elbow from an air-aid system found in a junk yard, cleaned up the fender inlet area and then used a amsoil filter with a pre-screen. Also de-bured and honed the post-turbo air path.
I don't know if any of that made a real difference but I was bored...:D