PDA

View Full Version : Chevy 6.5 td. No power when towing

Pribblejames
10-28-2014, 16:47
I have a 95 chevy one ton Dully 6.5 td. When towing my camper it has no power and bad full economy. Things I have done...injectors, pmd relocation, replaced fuel sock in tank, lift pump, oil pressure switch, fuel filter, air filter. Turbo is working fine. Pulled camper on a three hour trip last week and had to stay on the pedal hard most of the way. When I stopped on tried to restart it wouldn't. Poured water on the injection pump and it started right up. Without load the truck runs and starts great. Do I need a new injection pump? Thanks

AKMark
10-29-2014, 10:13
Looks like you've replaced all but one part, and it sounds like it's your problem.

The injection pump. If the motor has good compression, and has no guts with all the work you've already done, chances are that pump is shot.

With the Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel sold at the pumps since 2007, if that truck hasn't had an additive run to keep lubrication up, chances are that the injection pump is shot. Needs more lube than the ULSD gives compared to what we used to get.

Pouring water on it making it work kinda sold that one.

Pribblejames
10-29-2014, 14:37
When I got the truck the lift pump wasn't working. I heard this will also wear out the injection pump...thanks for the reply.

AKMark
10-29-2014, 15:04
Yes, if the lift pump is dead the injection pump has to work that much harder. Killing it much quicker.

Make sure after you change it to run an additive that helps lubricate.

Big Green
10-30-2014, 12:33
Check for a restriction in the exhaust. The cat, if it still has one, would be the first stop.

How do you know the turbo is working? Do you have a vacuum gage.

The other thing that would help would be an EGT gage.

check the vacuum at the solinoid on the drivers side valve cover.

If you already have the gages and everything else checks out then I'd contact Kennedy and pick up a new chip. I have one in my truck and love it. It really woke my truck up.

Big Green

racer55
11-07-2014, 08:31
Might just need the IP electronic timing set?

On a 95 there are only 3 scan tools that can do the job,tech 1,techII with obd 1 expansion module or GMTD ScanTech pro version for laptops.

zrocket
11-12-2014, 12:50
Check and make sure your fuel sock isnt collapsing and that you didnt kink your return line at the tank simple check.. youve worked in that area ...a bucket of diesel with the inlet hose in it to lift the fuel to the i.p. bypasses the sock a psi gauge on your fuel line should tell the story before and after ...your i.p. wont work proper with a restrictive back flow to your tank. if it is the sock an in line 30 micron filter should take care of it. minus the sock....all credit goes to a youtube find stalling loss of power.