PDA

View Full Version : Xmission Question

chuckf
05-23-2005, 05:53
97 Sub. L80E tranny.
I need to have the tranny replaced. I have heard good and not so good about Jasper rebuilts. I am looking for a recommendation. I have one mechanic who is GM factory trained and will rebuild the tranny for around $2500 and I have another who will replace the tranny with a Jasper. What is your recommendation and experience with tranny replacments? Thanks.

Govt issue
05-23-2005, 06:23
We install jasper here and rebuild. There is nothing wrong with a rebuild. but if you need a longer war. go with the jasper. Just install it how they say. new trans cooler ect. or the war, won't cover it . 3 year 75000 miles

JeffsTowTruck
05-24-2005, 08:36
http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=008626
check out the local salvage yard and a GM rebuild. I just put a GM rebuild in my 97 pontiac and they had a good price and 3 year 50k.

ace58
05-25-2005, 16:17
I went the GM rebuild route. I paid $1900, with the old unit. I like the warranty.

chuckf
05-25-2005, 16:30
Thanks for your input. I am going with the GM option. Thanks again.

tanker
05-25-2005, 16:40
Just for your information on the 4L80E transmission. I'd say its bullet proof. However keep it clean and COOL. Heat is the killer of most machines. I had 160,000 miles on my 95 suburban, did a lot of heavy towing cross country, grossed at 18,000lbs. Sold the suburban and now it resides up in Alaska, same transmission. I added two additional trans coolers, one that was 12-volt fan cooled, used "Amsoil" synthetic ATF, and never had an issue.
I guess what I'm saying is, if you maintain it well it will last a long time. Member Howie E. is over 150,000 miles on his 97 suburban, and he tows everywhere, up into Alaska, and down to the Florida Keyes, with out a transmission problem. He also uses a 12-volt fan cooler.
I read this forum and see many fellow members replacing a transmission from time to time and wonder what type of care it had in its life?
Filters, fluid, and coolers are cheap compared to $2000.00+ for a rebuilt unit.
Just curious what caused the transmissions to fail.

charliepeterson
05-25-2005, 18:16
I second "Tanker's" answer. These transmissions are GOOD. The fleet vehicles that I see every day just keep going with tremendous abuse but very good maintenance. The 4L60's are a different story.

rjwest
05-26-2005, 02:14
I did a GM rebuild 60le in my 93 Gas truck, Lasted 8K miles ( drove it from PA - FL in second as no dealer wanted to do warrenty.

Found one in Fl , who said he would replace it, Than said , It'out of truck and we will rebuild it, Our option , you have no say in matter.

When I picked up truck, Service Rep says, we won;t warrenty it, your to hard on trucks,

I say, the original trans went 223K miles, your an A**hole. and left. transmission did't shift right and had a vibration. Sold truck.

SCR*W GM, I would never buy a rebuild from them again. I went GM for the warrenty , as I travel a lot, Lot of good it did me.

When/If the 80le go's, I will get a local to do the rebuild..

Note: I have been told that GM contracts Rebuilds to large rebuild chains. ..

chuckf
05-26-2005, 03:48
Tanker,
I changed the oil and filter in the tranny and found a piece of metal approx 1" x3/4" in size. Not sure where it came from. The pan was full of metal particles. The tranny is slipping in overdrive.

TJ Moose
05-26-2005, 06:40
Tanker - I'm 2nd owner of my '95 Burb - bought it at 55,000 Mi, changed t-fluid first time at 75K mi, and have down so about every 33K mi since. First time change, just that powdery stuff in the pan, been clean ever since. I use a synthetic - usually Red-Line fluid when I change to give myself a little margin for error when towing the Jeep in the summer. Now at 189K miles, all still well - although I do tend to go easy on the long thin pedal. (Ooops - I've done it now. Don't anyone tell my Burb I'm saying nice things about it.....)

N654ME
05-26-2005, 13:04
What ever you do DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH A COMPANY CALLED GEARHEAD. 4 months later and over $2500 later no working tranny but lots of lies and broken promises. Finally went to a locale shop and a GM tranny. another $2300

tanker
05-26-2005, 16:28
We have a fellow at work who had a local transmission shop do a rebuild or replaced his in a S-10 blazer. Owner removed transmission, and also did the reinstall. It lasted 1 year and 3 days less than 5000 miles then would not shift out of 2nd gear. The shop told him "No Warranty" 1 year is 1 year!! :eek: He called several other shops "Aamco" etc. they said it should have lasted 5-7 years and 100,000 miles, and they would have honered the warranty. Long story short he called the better business bureau and now they will do a rebuild again, but charge him $300.00 for in and out labor, but no warranty.
I guess a warranty is only as good as the people behind it.
Take care of our machines and they will take care of us. ;)