PDA

View Full Version : 98 K3500 Turbo to Manifold Studs

campionc
11-10-2014, 09:27
Ok I need help again. I've been searching all over for a cheap place to find the studs that mount the turbo to the manifold. The GM part number is 14098653. It's apparently a double threaded M10x1.5x35 stud.

I refuse to pay a total of $54 (the cheapest I've found for a set of 4) for these things!

I found a different stud, part number 7831388, it's a M10x1.5x39 so it's a little longer, but the main problem is I can't find a picture to verify the threads. It's listed simply as "both ends", where most of the others say "double thread" or similar.

Does anybody:

1) Have set of the correct studs they're willing to sell, or
2) Know of a CHEAP place to get them, or
3) Know what a suitable alternative is that doesn't require a tap and/or die - or can verify the alternative I found will work and can verify the threads are right?

I'd love to spend $5 each plus the $9 shipping vs $12 each and $14 shipping. Heck, even the local Chevy dealer wants $19.80 each! Maybe I'm being unrealistic, but they're STUDS not GOLD!

Thanks for any help you can give!!!

Robyn
11-10-2014, 09:50
Do you have the studs out of the Man ????

If so, head over to the parts house (Napa, Autozone ???) and see what they have.

If you can find studs with the proper size and thread, even if too long, just shorten them.

These are not an absolute, and as long as the stud will go through the manifold and engage all the threads, just cut to fit.

Do you have the factory flange nuts that hold the turbo on ??

I have seen a couple rigs where the holes in the man were drilled out and bolts and nuts were used.

Lots of options

Missy

campionc
11-10-2014, 10:18
Hi Missy,

Thanks for the reply. The turbo is all disassembled, and yes, all of the hardware appears to be factory stock.

I know the current studs are broken, but I'm not really sure what I have left and what I dont. My mechanic friend took this one apart for me and said, "these broke; get more".

I can find studs the same size or could even cut threaded rod, but the problem is the direction of the threads. The top threads run in the opposite direction than the bottom. I don't know for sure, but I wonder if I could use a reverse thread nut, or just use a regular nut and spin it on backwards...

I'd really like to try the alternate ones I found but don't want to waste that much money if I can't use them for anything.

I thought about drilling it out and putting bolts in it but I just didn't want to go through all that if I could find the OEM part or equivalent cheap enough.

JLue
11-10-2014, 11:45
I would call HD. They rebuilt my turbo, they have all the parts on hand. I am sure they would give you the right stuff and only charge what it it worth. They are knowledgeable and helpful.

http://www.hdiesel.com/C/Turbochargers/445

Yukon6.2
11-13-2014, 10:01
I can find studs the same size or could even cut threaded rod, but the problem is the direction of the threads. The top threads run in the opposite direction than the bottom. I don't know for sure, but I wonder if I could use a reverse thread nut, or just use a regular nut and spin it on backwards...

Hi
Threaded rod or a long bolt with the head cut off.The threads will run the same way.As far as i know there are no left hand treads on these trucks anywhere.If you can get stainless steel go that route,then they will not rust and break like the old ones.
Thomas

Robyn
11-13-2014, 18:58
Ahhhhh
I have had these studs out of a couple manifolds, and they are not left handed in the manifold.

A left hand thread would want to come out when you tightened the nuts that hold the turbo on.

What made you think the studs have LH THREADS ???

Missy

campionc
11-14-2014, 08:48
I was just going by the pictures. I guess it would make sense to have the threads run the same way. Don't know what I was thinking there lol.

I ended up getting stainless ones on eBay for a total of $16. The size is M10x1.5x37, which is only 2mm longer than the original M10x1.5x35. Both the stock and my replacements have 5mm center shafts.

Maybe this info will help someone else down the road too. Thanks for all the replies!

Robyn
11-14-2014, 09:13
:):):):):)