PDA

View Full Version : Clunking Sound From Standing Start

TurboDiverArt
01-15-2005, 07:18
I think I remember reading a post about this but I can

DmaxMaverick
01-15-2005, 12:06
A very common issue for "clunk on take-off" is a dry/underlubricated or worn out slip yoke on the rear drive shaft to tranny connection. When you stop quickly, rear spring wrap will occur and the energy will stay stored in the springs. When you start again, the energy is released, jolting the slip yoke. Clunk.

If it is in the front end as you suspect, there are several possibilities. Front diff, calipers, control arm bushings, shock mounts, tie rod, idler, or just about any related part. Tough to diagnose.

Good luck.

john8662
01-15-2005, 13:26
Can also be loose bolts on the transmission/transfer case mount, or the mount is bad itself.

DA BIG ONE
01-16-2005, 02:41
Check those motors mounts too. Just had to redo mine again, guess mods strain em more.

Good luck

DickWells
01-16-2005, 06:37
Funny you should bring this up. I've had a very slight clunk when I start out ever since I bought by 95 Sub. back in 98. Thing is, it's never gotten any worse in all that time and mileage. (from 63K to 174K miles, now)
I've waited for it to become exascerbated, but it never has. So, here's what I've concluded. I think it only occurrs in 4x4 vehicles. I think it's more than likely the front differential gear play being taken up upon start-up. I can't hear it, because I shot away most of my hearing in my right ear years ago, but it certainly isn't very loud. I simply feel it in the stearing wheel, and not every time, at that.
Anyone else concur, or dis-agree?
Dick Wells

catmandoo
01-16-2005, 07:00
my 92 c1500 with 5spd does it too,and i never noticed it before i pulled the driveshaft to replace a u-joint,it has since got all 3 joints ,new hanger brg and new rear trans mount and it still does it,but it does seem to have a little more play in the slip-joint then i think it should have.