PDA

View Full Version : Going w/Mech. Inj. Pump Need INPUT

DA BIG ONE
01-15-2005, 16:27
Ok, I am working on getting all the parts needed to do a conversion to mech injection.

Will be using, stand alone controller for 4L80e, 300 hp mech pump, & hi pop injectors.

As, I have the NP246 autotrac t-case I will need to somehow shift it. The autotrac does not work since air locker install anyway. Ill be happy with just the 4wd hi, and 4wd low feature.

Is there a list off all parts needed for this conversion, or?

Bobbie Martin
01-15-2005, 17:20
Hi,
Email me directly, I can probably help.
Thanks, Bobbie

DickWells
01-16-2005, 07:18
Hi. Sounds like Bobby has the data you're looking for, but, please allow me to mention a few things about my rig.
*I have a DB2 pump, set up as a marine unit. I.E., it delivers much more fuel than the electronic unit.
*I still have the 21/1, or whatever, pistons.
*I get quite a bit of clack out of the engine bay. Is it the high compession? Don't know. I do know that it's pretty insensitive to timing adjustment.
* I've put 13K on it since the DB2 install, and I love the power, but still worry about the added noise.
*I don't don't have the shifting issues, because I have a manual front end, being a 95.
*It's good to go with the stand alone trans controller. Talk to Russ at the outfit in Virginia. (I forget the name of the outfit!) Bobby will probably tell you, if you don't already know. The harness costs $150, the computer costs $700. Worth it? Probably. It's up to you.
*I had injector lines on my pump. It was from a 93 HD van. But, I got all new stuff with the pump rebuild including a new pump body, for my $1200.
* I'm getting about 13 mph, towing, with an all-up weight of just over 15 thousand now. About 1 mpg improvement. Uses more fuel at idle now than it used to,though.
*Instant starts, hot or cold.
Hope you don't find this too boring. Any questions, just ask. Be glad to share what little I know.
Good luck.
Dick Wells

C.K. Piquup
01-16-2005, 07:29
So,is one of these"stand alone"computers what you need to put a 4L80E in any non-computer vehicle?I ask because I want to convert from a TH350 in my `72 when I install the 6.5TD.Don`t know what to tell you about the Auto-trac control.Bobby,did yours have this T-case?

C.K. Piquup
01-16-2005, 07:32
OOPS!I can answer that,definately not.I knew you had a`95,Bobby.Forgot it was 2wd.

DA BIG ONE
01-16-2005, 07:54
Originally posted by Bobbie Martin:
Hi,
Email me directly, I can probably help.
Thanks, Bobbie Will do....

DA BIG ONE
01-16-2005, 08:06
Originally posted by Dick Wells:

*I still have the 21/1, or whatever, pistons.
**I don't don't have the shifting issues, because I have a manual front end, being a 95.
**Instant starts, hot or cold.
Hope you don't find this too boring. Any questions, just ask. Be glad to share what little I know.
Good luck.
Dick Wells My motor has the 19:1 cr pistons w/cooling jets, so I have room to play.

As for the NP246 autotrac it is intergrated into the ABS and uses 3 speed sensors "1 for front drive shaft, 1 for rear drive shaft, and the speedo. I found GMs tech manual has the wrong information about its clutch setup for my year, they claim the clutch pack is computer controlled, but it is always engaged as per New Process. They say the reason for the clutch pack is to reduce strain on the t-case.

I like the stand alone tranny controller because it can be adjusted to suit any install, or configuration.

MPG is always an issue I now get 21 to 23 @ 70mph, and 27 to 29 @ 55 mph. I have the 3.42:1 gearset, best mod I have done so far.

DA BIG ONE
01-16-2005, 08:10
Originally posted by C.K. Piquup:
So,is one of these"stand alone"computers what you need to put a 4L80E in any non-computer vehicle? Yep!