PDA

View Full Version : My 1988 chevy 6.2

julio
11-17-2014, 21:49
I have an 88 scottsdale, 6.2 pickup. and I'm havind power problems when I'm driving in the Highway, especially when I'm going uphill. when the truck kicks in the High rev. I notice that the truck sputters, as if it was missing! and looses power! it also smokes when this happens. to the point that I have to let off on the accelerator so that the tranny kicks back low! the smoke is not black though. it idles good, it only happens at high acceleration when I'm driving! does anyone have an Idea on what can be causing this problem? this is my first diesel! I'm not too familiar with it!:(

DmaxMaverick
11-18-2014, 01:24
Welcome aboard!

Sounds simple, really. Probably a plugged fuel filter or failed fuel pump.

julio
11-18-2014, 12:50
I'm changing the fuel filter next! to see if it fixes the problem! Thanx!

julio
11-20-2014, 13:06
I changed the fuel filter and I'm back in business!

Subzilla
11-20-2014, 13:38
Always keep a spare filter in the truck and tools to change it. I have had to change this on the road more than once. Now you know the symptoms and know what to do!

I highly recommend you purchase Jim's 6.2 troubleshooting and repair guide (http://www.thedieselpage.com/t&rguide.htm). $30....you will make this back in no time through savings in not paying someone else to fix your stuff.

Hang out here, do searches, ask questions. You'll learn alot here!

DmaxMaverick
11-20-2014, 13:52
I changed the fuel filter and I'm back in business!

Happy to help. Most "problems" are only this simple.

Subzilla
11-20-2014, 13:58
BTW, Mav, you gave me guidance on my 2011 Silverado a few months ago when I put air in the ABS system. Did what you said to do, find a dirt road, accelerate, hit the brakes, repeat multiple times (20) till the pedal mush is gone. Worked like a charm!

Many thanks!!!! Saved a trip to the dealer.

julio
11-24-2014, 14:26
I apreciate your advice, I will follow this forum, Hopfully I'll become more familiar with My diesel. thank you all