PDA

View Full Version : just limped my allison for the first time. need advice on options

jkuiper
11-18-2014, 14:45
I recently purchased a 2007 silverado 2500 hd classic. with a 6.6 chevy duramax. The guy i bought it off of put a cold air intake, airdog fuel system, 4 inch strait exhaust, and a efi live tuner on it. It sits on 35 inch tires.
I found that i get the best gas miliage in the highest setting.(probably 100+hp) I went to pass a guy the other day and i sent it into limp mode. it coded 770(presurre cylinder #2) stuck open. The engine light went on. since then, the engine light has gone off, and i turned down the setting to the lowest one and i havent had any problems with it since then, but my gas miliege sucks. oh i have 175,000 mlies on the truck
Ive gotten conflicting stories and advice. I understand that with all the extras that have been added that its overloading the trans. The trans is not broken yet, and id like to keep it that way.
First option- when to DMAX.com and looked at a D-Max 5(1000)hp complete kit. came to $3619. yikes :eek:
Second option- talked to a friend that has the same truck and set up. he said all i needed to do was put a shift kit on it(ex TRANSGO), a triple disk converter and a new flex plate and id be good. :confused: Sift kit and bigger lines makes sense, but not neccesarily the torque converter and flex plate since im not running huge tunes.
Third option-(and the most confusing) I called down to FLEECE Performance( a custom tuning shop). And he blew my mind frankly. he said its more to due with how im driving, than what the trans can handle. he said with a big tune like i was running if i stepped on it at low rpm(less than 2000) it was "going to allways go into limp." He said the computer "learns" and it will progressively go into limp easier every time i limped it. he gave me two choices.
1- a new super built trans= $6000
2- flash my computer to erase the limp memory, give me new tunes or what he said were."transsafe", and then dyno it.
he stated that if i still wanted a big tune and hammer it to just shift it into manuel and make sure not to do it when the rpms were less than 2000.

What do you guys think? im leaning more towards a shift kit, computer flash, and new tunes.
http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/images/buttons/edit.gif (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=307972)

Kennedy
11-18-2014, 15:49
I will not argue the bigger tune= better mpg, but what I will say is that typically the bigger the tune the higher the error on the DIC calculator which tends to fool people.

My best advice is better tuning. Tuning that cannot slip the trans. Do this now before you start to burn the clutches.

There is no cheap fix foe the Allison, but there are good fixes.