PDA

View Full Version : New owner, have a question...

punkbek3886
11-26-2014, 12:19
Hey everyone. I just bought a 2001 Chevy Express with the 6.5td. I've been doing a ton of research the past few days on the common problems and I think I mostly have a handle on it all. I'll be changing out the harmonic balancer, pulley, and probably relocate the pmd and keep a spare on hand. I've already changed the oil & oil filter. Eventually I would put new injectors and glowplugs in also.

The van was bought from a county vehicle surplus auction. It has 98,xxx miles on it and runs great. I checked for blow-by from the oil filler and got nothing, also did the coolant system pressure check for cracks in the cylinders. It passed that test as well. It doesn't have a trailer hitch or even a ball on the bumper, so I know it has seen zero towing miles. There were some filing cabinets in the back, and I think that is the only load it has seen in its life.

That leads me to my main concern. The only thing that really has me worried is the possibility of main web cracks. I have one of the last GM blocks, which has oil squirters and smaller main bolts. I am going to be converting this to a cross-country camper van (no regular towing planned) and really, really don't want it to let me down thousands of miles from home. I've read horror stories of ppl's 6.5td's running great right up until the moment they grenaded. Is this actually something I should be worried about or has the internet gotten me all fired up over nothing?

Thanks in advance!

Yukon6.2
11-27-2014, 08:50
Hi punkbek3886
You are doing the right thing reading as much as you can on here.If you are going to do a lot of driving cross country,and you have the aptitude for it.You should look at getting some kind of code reader.
As to the block cracking.Yes you do read about a bunch of problems with blocks cracking.....but......
There are thousands of drivers that get nothing but good service from their 6.5's and don't have a clue about cracking blocks.And you will never hear anything about them.
So i wouldn't lose any sleep over it,just keep in mind that someday you may have to replace the motor.If you bought a van with a Duramax in it,someday you would have to change the injectors,which also comes with a hefty price tag.
Thomas

DaveNY
11-28-2014, 08:52
Hey Punkbeck
Bought My 99 Suburban at 69,000 mi. I do occasional towing but heavy materials for the house. One pump replacement at 75,000 mi under warranty. Moved the PMD behind rear bumper got rid of the vac pump and installed manual boost setup. Last week hooked up to 10,000 lb Bri-Mar dump full of gravel and not a hiccup, 288,000 mi now on same pump ,block and everything else. replaced water pump at 260,000. Warm it up good before she goes to work and dont let it get too hot.Its a 6.5 not a Dmax dont expect too much out of it and it will be very reliable.

Good Luck and Welcome
Dave

punkbek3886
11-29-2014, 23:06
Thanks for the replies Yukon & Dave, and for the encouraging words. All I can do at this point is treat it right and hope it does the same to me. Happy Thanksgiving!