PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler Options

Ken Holder
12-08-2014, 01:19
I have a 6.5T which has the turbo installed as part of the inlet manifold this makes it very difficult to fit an intercooler which I'm keen to do, I'd like to hear about an possible options. Note this engine is fitted in a Landcruiser.

Robyn
12-08-2014, 09:03
Hi

Can you post some pictures of the setup.

Usually the air hat on top of the intake is modified to allow an charge cooler return pipe to be connected.

IIRC there have been some adapters manufactured for this purpose.

What level of boost are you planning to run ???

15 pounds or less really does not benefit much from the cooler, plus running high boost pressure is really not a good plan with the 6.5

The engine design was never meant for high pressure.

The 6.5 was designed for <=10 psi

12-14 psi with a free flowing exhaust works well with good engine life.

High boost will likely compromise the head gaskets

There is one solution if you desire to run high boost, and that is to drop the compression ratio to 18:1
With this done, the boost can be run up and the addition of a charge air cooler will work nicely.

The 6.5 in stock trim has a comp ratio of 21.5:1 and was factory set to run at approx 8 psi boost

10-12 psi with the IP bumped up a tad will work very nice,

Keep the EGT TO NO MORE than 1000F at the ports for extended periods and short hops to 1100F

Hope this helps

Missy

bowtiebutler
12-08-2014, 17:01
If you don't want to modify your upper intake, you can buy this upper like I have from Peninsular Diesel for about $60.
Here are a couple pics.

Matt

Robyn
12-09-2014, 08:56
Yesssss, this is the air hat I had seen before.
Thanks for posting the fine pix

What is the little device up top with the clear hoses connected ??

Oil trap ???

bowtiebutler
12-09-2014, 15:45
Yesssss, this is the air hat I had seen before.
Thanks for posting the fine pix

What is the little device up top with the clear hoses connected ??

Oil trap ???

You got it Robyn, its just an oil catch can. My 6.5 puts very little oil out of the CDR, but since I'm running an intercooler, I thought it would be added protection against any oil build up in the CAC. :)

Matt

ACH
12-10-2014, 03:06
I have a 6.5T which has the turbo installed as part of the inlet manifold this makes it very difficult to fit an intercooler which I'm keen to do, I'd like to hear about an possible options. Note this engine is fitted in a Landcruiser.

Hey Ken, have you had a chat with Greg or Scotty at Brunswick Diesels?
If they can't sort you out I'll be much surprised!!

ACH

Robyn
12-10-2014, 08:10
Matt

For sure
Some of these engines can get pretty sloppy.
I had a 93 the was a real oil puker from the day I got it new.

The inlet side of the turbo was always a mess.

The last two 6.5's I built were dry as a bone up top.

Does your catch can drain back to the pan through a check valve ??

bowtiebutler
12-10-2014, 16:59
Matt

For sure
Some of these engines can get pretty sloppy.
I had a 93 the was a real oil puker from the day I got it new.

The inlet side of the turbo was always a mess.

The last two 6.5's I built were dry as a bone up top.

Does your catch can drain back to the pan through a check valve ??

No Robyn, it just has a drain plug in the bottom of it. It has a sight tube on the side, so you can see if you have any measurable amount of oil in it. While I could remove the drain plug to drain, there is no way I'm doing that, as I like my engines clean! :D When/If it needs draining, I'll take it off for draining.

Matt

More Power
12-11-2014, 09:55
VW diesels back a few years ago did experience a problem with oil buildup in the CAC over time. There is a drain procedure I seem to remember hearing about.

Since the mid 2000s the Duramax engines recycled crankcase gases and pushed them through the CAC. Like all diesels, crankcase gases contain some small amount of oil mist. In the Duramax, this doesn't seem to produce a buildup in the CAC, as the much higher airflow of this 6.6L pushes the oil on through.

As an aside, oil isn't as good at transferring heat as air. So, an oil film can reduce the effectiveness of a CAC. How much? Dunno exactly. For a 6.5 owner, you could install the crankcase ventilation system used on the early Duramax. These vented to atmosphere through a catch system that returned condensed oil back to the crankcase.

I will say that after having a lot of experience with a turbocharged and intercooled 6.5L diesel, oil buildup in the CAC was not a problem. Jim

bowtiebutler
12-11-2014, 14:58
VW diesels back a few years ago did experience a problem with oil buildup in the CAC over time. There is a drain procedure I seem to remember hearing about.

Since the mid 2000s the Duramax engines recycled crankcase gases and pushed them through the CAC. Like all diesels, crankcase gases contain some small amount of oil mist. In the Duramax, this doesn't seem to produce a buildup in the CAC, as the much higher airflow of this 6.6L pushes the oil on through.

As an aside, oil isn't as good at transferring heat as air. So, an oil film can reduce the effectiveness of a CAC. How much? Dunno exactly. For a 6.5 owner, you could install the crankcase ventilation system used on the early Duramax. These vented to atmosphere through a catch system that returned condensed oil back to the crankcase.

I will say that after having a lot of experience with a turbocharged and intercooled 6.5L diesel, oil buildup in the CAC was not a problem. Jim

That is some great information, and I know oil can reduce my CAC's efficiency. There is a very nice crankcase ventilation kit that has worked fantastic for a few other 6.5 guys. Its made by MANN, and is called the ProVent. It actually had a replaceable filter in it, and returns the oil back to the crankcase. Most tap into the turbo oil drain for the return. The system is about $200, so its pricey, but if I see I have a problem with oil buildup, I will purchase one. My engine has very little oil coming from the CDR, so I was hoping my little $35 catch can would be adequate. There a few things that are before the ProVent on my wish list. I'm about to install a much hotter DB2 in my truck along with a set of Bosch Germany 311 nozzles, and I would really like to be able to afford a WMI kit as well. Not for the extra power, but for the added cooling. I plan on putting it on the rollers here at my local dyno facility, and would like to make sure I can keep my EGT's in check, as I would like to be able to drive my truck away from there under its own power, and not on a trailer! :D

Matt

Dvldog8793
12-11-2014, 16:44
Howdy

on my last truck...(before the crank separated:mad:) I had my IC setup with a dual input air temp gauge made for airplanes. I monitored ambient air temp, pre cooler temp and post cooler temp. It was mainly cause I am a control freak and like to know everything....:rolleyes:
Over about 100,000 miles I NEVER saw any change in CAC efficiency. It did vary considerably from ambient temps. obviously in the winter it worked the best. My CAC was custom built for a different application and was much larger than anything I have ever seen on a 6.5. Approx 30 x 16 x 3inches.

When I removed it from that truck it had enough oil in it to make a mess on the floor and the interior was coated pretty evenly with a film of oil.
Like I said...Never saw a big difference in efficiency.

There have been members in the past that built water-to-air coolers. I actually owned all the parts at one time but never put it together due to how complex it was turning out to be. Nice for under the hood air path but everything else about it was a pain.

Good Luck!!!

bowtiebutler
12-12-2014, 08:58
Howdy

on my last truck...(before the crank separated:mad:) I had my IC setup with a dual input air temp gauge made for airplanes. I monitored ambient air temp, pre cooler temp and post cooler temp. It was mainly cause I am a control freak and like to know everything....:rolleyes:
Over about 100,000 miles I NEVER saw any change in CAC efficiency. It did vary considerably from ambient temps. obviously in the winter it worked the best. My CAC was custom built for a different application and was much larger than anything I have ever seen on a 6.5. Approx 30 x 16 x 3inches.

When I removed it from that truck it had enough oil in it to make a mess on the floor and the interior was coated pretty evenly with a film of oil.
Like I said...Never saw a big difference in efficiency.

There have been members in the past that built water-to-air coolers. I actually owned all the parts at one time but never put it together due to how complex it was turning out to be. Nice for under the hood air path but everything else about it was a pain.

Good Luck!!!
Thanks, and thats good to know you didn't loose much efficiency with the oil in your CAC. They make a gauge that has 2 needles, and two temp sensors for monitoring the temps before, and after the CAC. I plan on installing one soon, as I like to monitor these things as well. I thought I was running a large CAC as far as these trucks go (31x12x3), but you are running a large CAC! Thanks

Matt