PDA

View Full Version : A Better Oil Catch Can For The 6.5TD

bowtiebutler
12-16-2014, 17:03
Hello all, I'm new here, but not new to the 6.5 diesel. This is my 4th one over the last 10 years. This is the first one that I've really tried to get more power out of. I'm currently running an HX35/40 hybrid turbo with a 31x12x3" air to air intercooler. The intercooler is a recent addition, and although my 6.5 pushes very little oil threw the CDR, I'm really trying to keep the intercooler clean inside. I bought an oil catch can online, but when it arrived it was just an empty can, with no baffles or anything. :confused: I installed it anyway, but as I suspected it didn't catch anything, and it had the same oily residue in the outlet hose as it had in the inlet.
I thought about buying a MANN ProVent setup, but they are pricey, so I thought I would try coming up with something myself before going that route. So, I found a pesticide sprayer filter at Tractor Supply for $20, that has 1" NPT inlet/outlet, and comes with a two layer stainless steel mesh filter. One coarse layer, and one very fine mesh layer. I then added a layer of 3M scotchbrite pad for added help in separating the oil from the air. Its still in the testing stage right now, and thats why it has the clear tubing on it, which allows me to better see how its working. If it works well, it will get 3/4" Gates oil hose installed, as well as steel fittings. So far so good, as there is oily redue in the inlet hose, but nothing in the outlet. Only time will tell. Here are a few pics of the filter assembly, and I'll post pics of the finished install in the next post. Thanks

Matt

bowtiebutler
12-16-2014, 17:06
Here are the pics of the finished installation.

Matt

JeepSJ
01-06-2015, 10:05
What a great idea! I have been searching for a good catch can solution and haven't been able to find a decent one with baffles for a price I was willing to pay (seems the ricer crowd has made them popular). I'll need to swing by TSC and pick one of those up.

bowtiebutler
01-09-2015, 08:32
What a great idea! I have been searching for a good catch can solution and haven't been able to find a decent one with baffles for a price I was willing to pay (seems the ricer crowd has made them popular). I'll need to swing by TSC and pick one of those up.

Thanks. I have 1100 miles on this setup now, and its working great. Its done a fantastic job of keeping the oil out of the turbo. I did make one change for durability. I replaced the 3M scotchbrite pad with a couple stainless steel pot scrubbers, as they should last a very long time. I also replaced the clear vinyl tubing with some Gates hose. I only used the clear tubing so it would be easy to see if it was working, and you can see in the last couple pics how well it works. The inlet hose to the can is oily, but the outlet side is dry. Here are a couple pics.

Matt

DieselDavy
01-13-2015, 06:16
Pretty Cool Bowtie!