PDA

View Full Version : My 93 K2500

bowtiebutler
12-16-2014, 19:30
Hello all. I thought I'd post up some pics of my most recent 6.5 truck. Its a 93 K2500 with 160k on it that I traded a lawnmower for about 6 months ago. The engine was taken apart, as it had suffered a blown head gasket. I went threw the engine, giving it a new set of Mahle rings, rod bearings, oil pump, timing chain, gaskets, etc... The cooling system was upgraded with a late 130 gph water pump, 9 blade steel fan, and modded HD fan clutch. A couple months ago the turbo was upgraded to a HX35/40 hybrid with a CKO 14cm turbine housing, and a genuine Holset compressor, and wheel. Then a 31x12x3 intercooler was installed, as well as a Peninsular upper intake. The current DB2 IP has had the fuel screw turned up, and the injectors are new Bosch N/A units. I have an extra injection pump in the shop at the moment being modified for additional fuel, as well as a set of injectors being built with genuine Bosch Germany 311 nozzles, and popped at 2200 psi. The truck has been loads of fun, and while I owned 3 others in the past, I didn't realize how much stronger they could be with a few well selected modifications. While it still has nowhere near the power the newest diesels have, its certainly on par with the earlier D Max's, Cummins, and Powerstrokes. The truck is no beauty queen, but its a great work truck, and pulls a trailer fantastic. Thanks

I have quite a few pics, so it will take a couple posts to get them all.

Matt

bowtiebutler
12-16-2014, 19:36
Pics of the engine after paint, and exhaust.

Matt

bowtiebutler
12-16-2014, 19:39
Pics of the truck.

arveetek
12-16-2014, 19:46
Thanks for sharing! Nice looking engine you have there...

Casey

bowtiebutler
12-16-2014, 19:48
Pics of the upgraded turbo, intercooler, and Peninsular upper intake.

I'm sorry, I know this was a bunch of pictures, but thanks for looking.

Matt

bowtiebutler
12-16-2014, 19:53
Thanks for sharing! Nice looking engine you have there...

Casey

Thanks Casey, I appreciate the kind words. :)

Matt

Dvldog8793
12-16-2014, 20:06
Howdy
Looks outstanding!
Make sure to take to a chassis dyno and let us know what comes up!
The CAC looks about the same as mine except mine is sitting on the floor...:D
Thanks for sharing!

bowtiebutler
12-16-2014, 20:43
Howdy
Looks outstanding!
Make sure to take to a chassis dyno and let us know what comes up!
The CAC looks about the same as mine except mine is sitting on the floor...:D
Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the encouraging words. :) My local speed shop (Deleon Racing) has a chassis dyno ($75 for 3 runs), but I would like to have my new hopped up DB2 installed, along with the marine injector before puuting it on the rollers. They don't call those things Heartbreakers for nothing, so I want to be as prepared as possible! :D 250 would be great, but anything over 220 to the rear, and I'll be content. :rolleyes:

I found a 2009 model (you can actually see the 09 julian date cast into the housing) DB2831 military IP, that I sent off for the royal treatment, and was told it will be pushing as much fuel as can be pushed threw a DB2. Here are a couple pics of the pump before I sent it off for the rework, as well as the Bosch 311 marine nozzles. Thanks

Matt

trbankii
12-17-2014, 08:29
Very nice work. I wish my ’93 looked as good!

bowtiebutler
12-17-2014, 15:38
Very nice work. I wish my ’93 looked as good!
Thanks, I appreciate it.

Matt

ginger743
12-17-2014, 18:32
Hi Bowtie,
Your stuff is just too beautiful to put on the road, work of art. Thanks for the photos !!!!

Jerry

bowtiebutler
12-17-2014, 20:42
Hi Bowtie,
Your stuff is just too beautiful to put on the road, work of art. Thanks for the photos !!!!

Jerry

Thanks Jerry, I really do appreciate the compliments. :) I know I went a little overboard with the engine detailing, but thats just because I've spent much of my life collecting, and restoring old vintage small engines from the 20's, 30's, 40's, and a few from the 1950's. I have shelves full of them, and I gave my old 6.5 the same treatment. This was a very tight budget build, and no part of this engine went to a machine shop. I honed the cylinders, lapped the valves, and polished the crank myself. I even reused the original pistons after a good cleaning. All it got was rings, rod bearings, oil pump, timing chain (just chain, no new gears). Even the paint was just left overs from an old Wheel Horse Garden Tractor I restored.
I imagine if I continue adding more power, there will come a day when I'll be forced to upgrade to the stronger Optimizer platform, but until that day, I plan one getting the most out of this 6.5 that I call The Poor Boy Special.:D Thanks

Matt