PDA

View Full Version : Looking at buying 96 C2500 with bad engine...

arveetek
02-10-2005, 16:52
A local guy has a 96 C2500 extended cab Silverado for sale. Body is in excellent condition, hardly any flaws, interior is excellent as well. Has 258K miles on odometer.

The engine blew up sometime before this guy bought it. He has a 93 6.5L turbo engine he was going to rebuild and install in it, but he's run out of time and place, too many projects. I looked at the motor in his garage, and it's a 599 block, with the mechanical 4911 pump and GM-3 turbo. Engine was supposed to be in running condition, but this guy was planning to go through it first anyway.

Truck has auto tranny. The guy has the original 96 DS4 pump that he was going to put on the 93 engine. But, I'd prefer the mechanical pump. He has a couple of spare parts as well, like flywheel, starter, etc.

He's asking $2750 for the whole package. I'm pretty tempted. In fact, I'd jump on it if it weren't for the fact that I'd have to let my precious '81 go...can't keep all my toys.

The body definitely doesen't look like it has 258K miles on it, that's for sure. Must have been all highway miles. No hitch has been in the bed as far as I can tell. It has pulled a bumper hitch trailer, though.

Whaddya'll think? I can't see how I could go wrong with spending $2750 for the truck, and then spending a couple of grand on the engine. Who knows how long the tranny or rear axle are good for, though.

I appreciate any and all input.

Casey

mhagie
02-10-2005, 18:26
Casey, You already know the answer, what are you waiting for? someone to come along and steal it away from you?
If I had a deal like that I would buy it NOW.

Merle

On second thought tell me where its at and I will take it and you can sit around and procrastinate

tom.mcinerney
02-10-2005, 19:51
I once owned a '73 C10, bought for $350 when 6 years old. The entire chassis/frame dissolved in varying hues of iron oxides.
The current GM trucks are wonderful! The paint coatings leave them new at ten years.
Even without the '93 engine you've got a deal.
But keep in mind the tranny may be at the end of the line. good luck.

john8662
02-10-2005, 20:50
Casey,

I'd try and talk them down on the price a tad (get the $$ before hand), but offer 2600 firm. Couple of things to consider though

258K miles, what went wrong with the old engine, locked up?

The rear end, tranny and front end need service at that mileage.

I'm guessing that this is a 5speed, so the DB2 conversion would be a lot nicer (wanna send me that DS4 ;) )

I seem to remember you wanting a 4x4, you might consider holding out for one.

One other thing, don't sell the ol 6.2, as frustrated as I get with my 86, I'll never sell the truck, I know I'll miss it too much.

Have fun, keep us posted on the purchase, and then some...

arveetek
02-11-2005, 11:50
Thanks for the thoughts, guys! I do appreciate it.

As much as I hate to, I've decided to pass on this deal. I've got too many projects already, don't really need another. And you're right, John. I do want a 4x4. I promised myself I wouldn't buy another truck unless it was an extended cab and 4WD.

This really is a heck of a deal, though. If anyone here is interested in this truck, just email me at arveetek@ j s comm.net (leave out the spaces) and I'll give you the info. Truck is located in Carthage, Missouri (SW corner of the state).

Casey