PDA

View Full Version : RH exhaust manifold bolt/stud holes

campionc
01-14-2015, 07:06
I'm working on my 98 K3500 6.5l again and try as I might to find a CLEAR diagram of which holes take studs versus which takes bolts, I have been unable to do so. I can't even find one from the proper viewing angle either.

Can someone tell me or better yet, post a picture of which goes where on the turbo-side exhaust manifold? Keep in mind that this IS NOT a center-mounted turbo.

Thanks!
Chris

Robyn
01-14-2015, 07:42
The manifold bolts to the head with Special bolts of varying lengths, plus they have a rolled thread.

There is also a tri lobe in thee threads to keep them from shaking loose.

There are studs on the turbo flange that are threaded into the manifold.
The rear outlet of the RH manifold uses bolts

Keep in mind, all threads on these engines are metric.

The bolts that hold the manifold onto the head are available through GM
Some have stud tops, some do not.

Always use never seaze on the threads when installing the manifold bolts and crossover bolts to avoid issues if you need to remove them later.

The turbo flange studs are a standard metric double ended stud, and use flange'd nuts to retain the turbo.

Hope this helps

Missy

campionc
01-14-2015, 11:29
Hi Missy,

I already have the bolts and studs. There is only one type of bolt, and one type of stud. Two part numbers in total.

There are three bolts, and the rest are studs. The problem is, I don't know which holes take bolts and which ones take studs. The diagrams available on Tonkin Online and other GM sites are not clear enough to show where the lines are drawn on the exploded view, and the picture is angled from behind, as though looking at the right side of the engine while standing on the left side. I've attached the picture so you can see. They are labeled 629 and 623.

http://www.tonkinonlineparts.com/images/parts/gm/fullsize/100913TC00-110.JPG

Thanks,
Chris

More Power
01-14-2015, 13:36
The studded ends of the bolts are there to secure the heat shields that protect the glow plugs and related wiring. Knowing that can help you determine where such bolts should be located. Jim

JeepSJ
01-14-2015, 14:13
I know of no studs that are used in the exhaust manifold, other than the turbo mounts as Robin had stated. The rest are bolts with a stud on the end.

a5150nut
01-14-2015, 18:34
With my memory of drafting I would say the 632 bolts are the first three towards the front and the rest are 629 stud tops going towards the rear.

Robyn
01-15-2015, 18:47
That is a great exploded view.

bowtiebutler
01-15-2015, 21:02
Here is a pic of the pass side manifold on mine. You can see I used a regular bolt in one of the places that should of been a bolt with a stud on the end. I don't remember why I did that. Probably couldn't find the correct bolt.:D

Matt