PDA

View Full Version : Bearing question

Dvldog8793
01-22-2015, 06:20
Howdy
My 1996 has developed a noise at operating temps. Meaning that when my oil temp gets up to about 145 or higher I have what is probably a rod knock. :mad: At these temps it also has lowish oil pressure....18-22 idles and 28-32 2000rpm
My question is....Has anyone had any luck just replacing bearings? Other than the noise the engine seems to have no issues, and I think I can replace the bearings in the truck.
This engine is a reman of unknown origin with about 120K miles on it.
Maybe I should just wait it out and save the money for a good known engine...?
Opinion....?
Thanks!!!!

john8662
01-22-2015, 08:01
I don't think this is worth while doing in-chassis.

I'd pull the engine and do it on a a stand. Inspect and plastigauge each journal. you may not find your problem with the bearings so then you'd dig deeper, which you really couldn't do in chassis.

J

Robyn
01-22-2015, 09:31
I agree generally on this one

The 96 likely has a squirt block (oil nozzles in main webs) and a reman or replacement may also.

The oil pressure is low, WHY ???
Has it always been this low, or all of a sudden

Those numbers are not terrible for a squirt block

Could be a bearing, cracked main web, possibly lost a squirter nozzle ??????

The knock could be a wrist pin bushing gone south, this does happen

The noise may be a serp belt pulley having lost its rubber cushion, but the low oil pressure ?????????????

Check that serp belt drive crank pulley first.

If you find nothing there

Get it apart.

Missy

Robyn
01-22-2015, 09:49
Check it out first.

A known good 6.5 is a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow, don't chase that dream.

Get some good recon, if nothing obvious pops up, get it out and apart.

Keep us in the loop

Missy

Dvldog8793
01-23-2015, 05:19
Howdy
Thanks for the input. Probably what I already knew but didn't want to admit.;)

The crank pulley and HB were replaced with new and a Fluiddamper.

About 6k miles after the fluiddamper was installed, It had a odd noise and it turned out to be the damper bolt was stripped on the end and worked loose allowing the timing set to move and clatter. cleaned up the threads and replaced the bolt and noise was gone. This knock started about 3k miles after that.

Worked the entire front and top of the engine with a stethoscope to hopefully find the knock on the top end. No luck

With cold oil the engine is quiet.

This engine has always had lower oil pressure than what I like to see. BUT....I have a friend with a 1996(original stock) that runs pretty close to the same.

No oil or coolant consumption.

Blow-by seems about normal.

Starts pretty good.

Thinking that I might run it till whatever the problem is matures. In the mean time build an engine to install. Thought about the P400 option but that seems costly and a pain(oil pan, engine mounts, 4x4 ect).

Probably go with as good a block/crank as I can find and go from there....Opinion on stud girdle kits? Splayed main caps?....

Thanks for the opinions and input!!!