PDA

View Full Version : I've joined the new Injection Pump/FSD club

Jon P.
10-31-2003, 10:12
I post this for informational purposes only -- it may help someone out. I apologize for the length.

I bought a used 1999 Suburban K2500 in August 2002 with 55,000 miles. It lost an alternator last spring and I had the front oil cooler lines replaced under an extended warranty, because they were leaking/seeping, although not very bad.

I haven't done any engine performance modifications, unless an AMSOIL air filter counts. I've upgraded the shocks (to Edlebrock IAS), front steering damper (Rancho), front and rear anti-sway bars (Hotchkis), and brakes (Praise Dyno Stage II front rotors/pads and Stage II rear shoes and added Russell stainless steel front and rear brake lines). I just added a set of gauges on the A-pillar (ISSPRO EV series -- pyro, boost and trans temp). Last spring, I changed all the fuids except coolant (transmission, front and rear diffs, transfer case, brake fluid and power steering fluid). The Dexcool coolant looked clear, so I let it be.

The vehicle now has about 72,000 miles. It's run great so far. A couple of weekends ago, I had the vehicle down in Atlanta. That Saturday night, it did not want to start after sitting for about 2 hours -- it turned over, but wouldn't fire. After waiting about 5 minutes, it cranked up. It did the same thing the next day.

The next Tuesday, my wife was driving it outside of D.C. and it stalled in 70 mph highway traffic. It did it 2 more times. She called me, and I called the dealer we bought it from (Criswell Chevrolet in Gaithersburg, MD). The dealer has a large truck department, and seems to know these engines. Without seeing it, the service rep told me that it was likely the injection pump and to bring it in for testing. They initially told me that they would have to replace a coolant nipple/fitting at my expense in order to complete the repair. They ultimately concluded that it did not need replacing, so I now have a brand new injection pump and FSD replaced under the special warranty. I asked them to check the lift pump and OPS, and they told me that they are working fine. I haven't pulled the engine cover to inspect the work, but it looks like they replaced all of the intake manifold bolts and studs, as they are now quite shiny.

While I'm annoyed with GM at what appears to be an obvious defect in the electronically-injected 6.5, I was very pleased with the dealer's service and would recommend them to anyone in the D.C. area who needs warranty work on their injection pump.

tloomis
10-31-2003, 14:59
Good to here a good story from the dealer but, I noticed in your post that you haven't lifted the engine cover to check their work. I would recomend that if you are not run a FSD/PMD cooler mod to remove the engine cover and store it away somewhere. This will allow more cool air to flow to the FSD/PMD.

ucdavis
10-31-2003, 16:57
Great detail in your rundown of the issue. Thanks.
I was also interested in your "engine cover." If that is the gizmo that says Turbo Power, you should remove it & throw it away. Some time ago the heat related trouble with the FSD was determined to likely be exaserbated by the TP cover & GM recommended to deep six it. Likely some remain in service. I thought they had nuked this by '99 so this may not be the "cover" you are refering to.
Anyway, my $.02
Welcome to the club.

Jon P.
10-31-2003, 17:19
I do still have the "Turbo Power" cover on the engine. I had thought that someone here had done a study and concluded that taking off the cover didn't lower the temperatures around the IP/FSD in any significant way. I could be mis-remembering it.

This is the first I've heard that GM recommends removing the cover. Since I don't see any downside to removing it, I'll follow your advice. Thanks.

Jon

kowsoc
11-01-2003, 06:11
The cover does create more heat in the IP/FSD area. Matter of fact, the whole intake manifold will stay cooler with air flowing freely around it. I put mine back on for one trip last winter and my fuel economy dropped. Even though my FSD is remotely mounted, it is still important to keep the IP cool to keep fuel viscosity up and prevent mechanical failure.

Also, imagine the heatsoak temps for the IP/FSD under that cover :eek:

MEDiesel
11-01-2003, 09:55
I just had my IP replaced . This is the first time I've read a recommendation to take the turbo power cover off. This is my 2nd IP,and FSD,and no dealer has ever recommended leaving the cover off. Sounds like a good idea,though. Going out to do it now.

Jon P.
11-02-2003, 06:36
Well, I took my "Turbo Power" cover off.

I discovered that the good dealer may not be so good after all. Three of the right-hand side lower intake manifold bolts were loose -- one was visibly loose , sticking about a quarter inch out, and two others were just loose. No sighn of any leaks, but I think that this would cause coolant and oil to mix, rather than any visble leaks. The coolant level is fine, and it had only been driven about 20 miles in this condition before I discovered it, so I'm not particularly worried. I'm still calling the dealer to complain, however.

turbovair
11-02-2003, 19:49
JonP,
the last time I had a pump replaced at the dealer,and checking their work as I always do, I found a gasket scraper on the rediator support and one of the intake studs(left/front) was hanging out about 1/4 inch and partly crossthreaded. Fortunately I was able to get it properly installed. Upon further investigation, most of my intake studs/bolts were only marginally tight.I still say I'm the best mechanic I know.