PDA

View Full Version : Newbie From Finland

Supersaloon
01-29-2015, 05:11
Hello,

I edited my other introdution post and somehow I got it disappear. Here is the original message. Sorry for inconvenience.

My name is Arto and I'm coming from Finland, northern Europe. I'm living about same latitude as Fairbanks in Alaska. My adventures with 6.2 diesel begun about year ago when I got ”temptating” offer to buy '90 GMC C2500 2WD longbed truck. If I had only known...:p
Got also Lance camper as freebie, without keys naturally, which was installed on the bed already.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/500/medium/mms_img42268.jpg

Ok, lets pick up the pick up. Luckily temperature was only 32F when starting up the truck and with full loaded batteries it started ”like under the palm tree” (ye olde Finnish saying). When trying to move the vehicle forward, of course it didn't move anywhere. Ok, no problem, let's start rocking it and first forward and then quickly reverse gear. It didn't move backwards, only ratchet like sound came under the car. Next some shovel work to the frozen ground and ramps were dug in front of the wheels. Then truck moved from it's parking spot in the woods, where it has been sitting several years.

Next thing was the route planning, 'cause you couldn't reverse the thing anymore... Home journey begun with phenomenal gear whining in the cabin. Also, nearly all gear oil from differential leaked out during this 30 miles ride to home. Engine pulled good and transmission worked, so maybe it won't be so bad after all... :confused:

At home if I wanted to move the thing, I had to tow it backwards with tractor. When I took off camper, probably you already guess, jacks didn't work properly... After all I got truck in my garage and started to look what was wrong with the differential, where I thought the problem to be. When I opened rear cover, definetely problem was there. A handful of metal pieces came out with remaining oil... :mad:
Rear pinion bearing was totally shredded and it allowed pinion gear to move forward so much that it didn't catch any tooth from ring gear when reversing. Positive thing was that it disassembled very easily otherwise the used one which I bought. It probably have had one tyre burnout sometime. I had to cut the center pin in two pieces with Dremel because it had so big shoulders inside the carrier, that only way to disassemble pin, was inside the carrier. I bought this used one for ”easy” repair but unfortunately it did not fit after all. That axle came from K1500 and it was 1/2” narrower than C2500 axle. So six lug drive shafts are about 1/4” shorter than 8-lug shafts which leads to brake plate modifications etc... Not to mention I had collected this used axle from 365 miles away... So I decided to use original axle with new internals and TruTrac posi.

When I got axle installed, broke brake line, => had to remove fuel tank, found deep corrosion pits all over, => new tank etc. Now I have also changed DSG timing gears, damper and pulley too. Next step is to figure out why speedometer isn't working related with blinking ABS/brake light and fix leaking windshield and rear window. And hundred other small fixes...:(

This is the original exhaust hanger which I found when I was fabricating new exhaust pipe...

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/500/medium/06032014061.jpg

Can't blame about un-innovative thinking...

Cheers,
Arto

Robyn
01-29-2015, 08:38
-Welcome to the board :)

Looks like you have a real project.

Speaking of palm trees, working on the truck is going to be a lot more fun when the weather warms up some.

Looking forward to seeing more pix and hearing how things go.

Thanks for sharing

Robyn

hoarder
02-04-2015, 18:16
Welcome to the forum... Your truck do have some potential, it may need some TLC.