PDA

View Full Version : Battery cables and stalling

bigtallguy
10-31-2003, 13:56
I was driving down the road last night when my truck just shut down. I thought it might be the battery cables because they were a little corroded, but they really weren't that bad, so I cleaned them just to be sure and it hasn't happened today (yet). Can corroded battery cables cause a truck to shut down or should I be looking for something else? Thanks.

1995 1500 6.5td 200k no mods

pannhead
10-31-2003, 14:59
yes...also what some people dont realize is that the corrosion can get into the cable itself under the heat shrink, so its not always visible...i've converted to all 2 gauge cables and have the OPTIMA batteries so i dont have to pancake the cables....some problems are as simple as battery cables if you're luckey

turbovair
10-31-2003, 23:14
Wiggle/push/pull the ignition key with engine running to rule out the switch/harness assy. If engine dies, replace switch/harness assy.Happened to me.

twaddle
11-01-2003, 00:46
Before you start, check the voltages with a digital voltmeter at the batteries, alternater and feed to the fuses and relays.
That way if you clean or repair something you can check to see if it has made any difference.

Jim Twaddle
Biggar,Scotland

jjbouwens
11-03-2003, 08:03
Turbovair:
I live across the Atlantic River where it is sometimes difficult to get to spare parts in a short time. For instance I am driving around in my RV with 3 FSD's: one sits still at the pump (died) one is driving the pump (relocated of course)and the third one is a spare one just in case. Since the ignition switch seems vulnarable to fail I decided to buy one: is this part number 26009706 for a 96 F engine.
Thanks

bigtallguy
11-03-2003, 08:27
Well, my truck keeps on dying on me, even though the battery cables are clean. I wiggled the ignition switch and nothing happened, so I guess it's not that. I am thinking about taking it to a mechanic today to check it out, hopefully they can fix it without it costing too much. Wish me luck.

bigtallguy
11-03-2003, 10:44
Well, took it to the mechanic and they said there was a short in the injection system. They are going to look at it some more and then tell me how much it will cost. Does anyone have any experience with this? How much was it to fix? Thanks.

DaveW
11-03-2003, 12:39
Speaking of Battery Cables......

Does anybody know if the positive cable on a 2001 F-350 is lond enough to replace the amalgamated POS that is factory supplied on my '95 GMC. I'd love to go to top post instead of side post with that stupid stacked arangement. While other things may be debateable the F-350 cable is far superior. Just an idea for those of us that bought replacement batteries that are side and top post combos. :confused: :confused:

Dave