PDA

View Full Version : Wont Relearn after batteries disconnected

standard
02-12-2015, 06:18
1999 sub 1500, 6.5L 4x4 I disconnected the batteries while I R/R the water pump. Task done, engine starts but shuts off. So, I performed the relearn procedure for the security. I have used the relearn before on this vehicle with success. Basically:
1. Start engine, runs then stalls (leave key in RUN position) SECURITY indicator lights then after 10minutes goes out.

2. After SECURITY light goes out and 10 minutes has passed, turn key to OFF position and wait 30 seconds. After 30 seconds restart vehicle.

3. If stalls, repeat 1 and 2. If stays running, security relearn complete.

BUT I perform step one, and the SECURITY light never goes out. I am suspecting the security pass lock system. Any ideas?

standard
02-12-2015, 10:12
Any simple instructions for bypassing the pass lock key.

Would it make sense to move the piece the key moves, into position, then glue it there. Can this be done? I haven't removed the top cover on the steering column yet.

john8662
02-12-2015, 11:30
You may have to connect a scan tool and clear codes (including pass lock re-arm codes) before it will learn correctly.

The codes may also shed light on what's wrong with the pass lock system.

You're in need of a bi-directional scan tool from the sounds of it.

standard
02-12-2015, 22:18
Used CarMD 2100 Scan tool but keep getting ERROR. It wouldn't read.
However I was not familiar with it, and will have to learn how to use it to erase codes to get a fresh set. Does disconnecting the batteries for some period of time erase codes? Would like to bypass the whole passlock.

There are three wires in a plug at the top of the housing that holds the lock cylinder Orange/Black stripe, Yellow, Red with white/black stripe.

I saw a video (different year and different wire colors) where the yellow was cut, and black had a stripped insulation area exposing the copper wire.

An ohm meter was used to measure between the cut yellow lead from the lock to the exposed copper of the black wire. A resistor of approximate value was then connected between the yellow lead going to the dash and the exposed copper on the black wire. Vehicle security electronics were satisfied. The installer was actually putting in a remote starting feature.

DmaxMaverick
02-12-2015, 23:59
Disconnect the batteries + cables, and ground one. Wait 30 minutes, reconnect, then repeat the relearn process.

Dvldog8793
02-13-2015, 05:40
A normal scan tool will not do the job that you are looking for. You need the next step up meaning a tool that not only reads and erases codes but also will communicate and teach the computer. These tools are typically EXPENSIVE and are mostly found at dealers and shops. I have one that operates on a laptop. These scan tools will allow TONS more options than the regular scan tool. COMPLETE vehicle system program diagnostics and settings like injection timing are available. For a one time use find a shop and tell them what you need done.
Good luck!

standard
02-14-2015, 11:34
Disconnected negative battery leads, disconnected positive lead and connected it to ground for 30 minutes then reconnected the leads. I performed the learn procedure previously described. The vehicle started ran a few seconds and stalled again. After a few seconds, maybe 25, the security light came on solid. I waited 10 or more minutes but the security light still doesn't go out. But I repeated as if it did. Same result. The relearn procedure wont perform as expected. Going to try the bypass of the passlock. Wondering does anyone know what the two wires connected to a small switch that has an actuator button inside the chamber that the lock cylinder slides into does? One small brown wire, one small green wire.

john8662
02-16-2015, 10:52
I saw a video (different year and different wire colors) where the yellow was cut, and black had a stripped insulation area exposing the copper wire.

An ohm meter was used to measure between the cut yellow lead from the lock to the exposed copper of the black wire. A resistor of approximate value was then connected between the yellow lead going to the dash and the exposed copper on the black wire. Vehicle security electronics were satisfied. The installer was actually putting in a remote starting feature.

I'd strongly disagree with this!

My wife recently bought a 1998 Gas Suburban that someone had swapped the steering column on. The suburban had a bad bucking situation when doing down the road, like someone was flicking the key on and off. No security light or anything.

I had to fix the previous mechanic's inability to even get the steering wheel to be straight (it was upside down when going straight). Anyways, I took the column apart to fix the horn as well as fix the wheel issue and found the real issue. A small series of resistors crimped into the wires you're describing.

This was their rig job to use the new key switch from the donor vehicle in this Suburban. I eliminated the hack job and repaired the wiring. I cleared all the codes and the system automatically initiated a re-learn as indicated.

I use the AutoEnginuity Laptop scan tool, it's bi-directional and was able to see the codes and when it was re-learning.

FIXED The bucking issue, just by finding the rig job.

Moral, repair it, don't jerry rig it.