PDA

View Full Version : questions about 6.5 and 95 k2500

guyina4x4
02-21-2015, 19:12
I looked at a 1995 k2500 diesel today

I have a few questions for you guys

smoke out the dipstick tube? blowby right? big problem?

wierd noise almost sounds like an alarm or siren coming from passenger side of dash area? not sure if inside or from engine compartment.
can only hear it when driving under fairly heavy throttle. when cruising it comes and goes.
my first though was blower motor but still does it with fan off.

any thoughts, I really liked this truck other than these things.

thanks

Dvldog8793
02-21-2015, 19:26
Howdy
About the sound issue.... Does this truck have an ISPRO EGT gauge ?

DmaxMaverick
02-21-2015, 20:29
Howdy
About the sound issue.... Does this truck have an ISPRO EGT gauge ?

Maybe, but it doesn't quite sound like the turbo, which is the noise he's hearing.

DmaxMaverick
02-21-2015, 20:34
The dipstick tube is a very poor location to examine blow-by. It is very small, compared to the oil filler pipe, which is a better location to look. A little vapor from there is OK, and doesn't necessarily indicate excessive blow-by. Some oil brands are "smokier" than others, as well.

guyina4x4
02-22-2015, 03:50
thanks for the replies guys

there is no EGT gauge

I don't think the noise is the turbo, it sounds like it's right in the cab with us, on the passenger side.
BUT if it is the turbo is that an indication of a major problem?
the sound almost sounds like a beep beep beep that gets faster with engine revs. then becomes a steady sound then pretty much goes away at steady cruising. at about 60 mph a light throttle push will bring it back beep beep beep.

the current owner of the truck claims to have never noticed it.
it's fairly loud and annoying

Blow by, I'll check it at the filler cap.

I think the only mods to the engine are a boost gauge and home made turbo master.

HeavyChevy95
02-22-2015, 04:57
post video with noise..

guyina4x4
02-22-2015, 09:42
I haven't bought the truck yet, I'm supposed to pick it up Tuesday.

I will get a video once I get it home.

thanks

guyina4x4
02-25-2015, 22:04
well I tried to get a recording of the sound but i cant get a good one.

I'm now kinda thinking it is a turbo related noise.
but I'm still not sure

it starts coming on about 3 psi on the boost gauge and gets progressively louder but settles down at cruise speed, at 60 you can barely hear it, at 70 its pretty noticeable.

it's too dam cold here to worry about it now, since it doesn't seem to be hurting anything.

Dvldog8793
02-26-2015, 06:34
Turbo noise will be a slight "whistle" that does increase with boost levels until you back out of the throttle then you hear the "whoosh" of the waste gate. No beeping or chirping that I have ever heard. The turbo sounds are very whistly and whinny...overall really cool sounds to listen to...not annoying or bothersome like a beep or chirping sound.:D

guyina4x4
02-26-2015, 18:13
that's what I thought
my other diesel whistles

it's so dam cold here right now it'll have to wait till later

thanks for the insight

DmaxMaverick
02-26-2015, 18:36
Turbos in different configurations sound very different, and there's 2 sources of the sound (intake and exhaust). They can be anything from a muffled whoosh sound, to a loud warbling, and anything in between. If you are hearing it with the OEM intake plumbing, it's not sealing (allowing dirt past the filter, and the compressor noise out). If it has an aftermarket or modified intake system, they can, and often do, allow the turbo to be heard.

DmaxMaverick
02-26-2015, 19:43
Also, if you hear a whoosh or growl when you let off the pedal under load, that's not the wastegate. It's called "turbo bark", which is the compressed air in the intake forcing back through the compressor (once the exhaust pressure releases the turbine). You should not be hearing this with a stock fuel system and program/chip. There are blowoff valves to prevent this, but they are normally only used on competition and high performance rigs.

The wastegate releases excess intake charge air pressure, by releasing exhaust gas from the turbine housing, to the tailpipe. This should only happen under heavy load, nearing maximum power, while hauling, ascending a grade, or hard acceleration.

Robyn
02-27-2015, 08:54
Compressor/turbo bark or stall as some in the big truck industry call it.

The only time I have heard this was on my 1995 Western Star with the 500 HP Cat 3406 E

Running under full load on a steep grade then backing off the throttle quickly to grab a gear would cause this to happen.

Usually it would only occur when the boost was up around 40 psi and the throttle chopped abruptly.

The rig had twin air cleaners mounted high right by the mirrors, and with the window down in nice weather the noise was profound.

I have never heard this on a 6.5 even with an aftermarket chip, not that its not possible, just never heard it.

It sounds like a large dog barks once.
The noise does not go on and on.

guyina4x4
02-27-2015, 13:54
this noise starts about 3 psi barely noticeable, at 5 psi it's pretty loud and at 8 psi it's quite loud. and gets quieter as boost declines.

it seems louder and more persistent today at 7 degrees outside temp than it did yesterday at 23 degrees.

really of all the things wrong with this truck, this noise is the least annoying.

main problems

1. steering is pretty loose
2. heat seems to come from all the vents but not very well from any of them. defrost barely works at all (fan sounds like it's blowing a lot more than the airflow indicates)
3. alternator or something electrical not working right, turn on heat and headlights and volt gauge drops to 11 or 12 volts. gauges bounce with turn signals.
I think I need to replace a couple cables and get the batteries tested.
4.then this annoying SOUND from the dash

GOOD things
1. supposedly new injectors
2. supposedly new glow plugs
3. engine runs great, starts pretty easy, except this morning (-12 here at 8 AM) didn't turn over or click or anything batteries were 12.26 volts with meter. after 30 mins on charger it turned over, after 1 hour with block heater plugged in it started right up
4. Trans shifts good, running gear all good, 4x4 works as it should.
5. 4 brand new tires and rims.
6. interior is in pretty good shape for a 20 year old farm truck
exterior isn't too bad, cab corners gone, little rocker rust on passenger side.

I bought it as a toy, I knew it needed most of the things it needs.
I like it

a5150nut
02-27-2015, 17:39
this noise starts about 3 psi barely noticeable, at 5 psi it's pretty loud and at 8 psi it's quite loud. and gets quieter as boost declines.

it seems louder and more persistent today at 7 degrees outside temp than it did yesterday at 23 degrees.

really of all the things wrong with this truck, this noise is the least annoying.

main problems

1. steering is pretty loose

Does it wonder a lot? Pitman arm and idler link should be inspected that and tie rod ends

2. heat seems to come from all the vents but not very well from any of them. defrost barely works at all (fan sounds like it's blowing a lot more than the airflow indicates)

Check the diverter door to see if its working properly

3. alternator or something electrical not working right, turn on heat and headlights and volt gauge drops to 11 or 12 volts. gauges bounce with turn signals.
I think I need to replace a couple cables and get the batteries tested.

Clean all ground connections especially right rear lug on passengers side head
4.then this annoying SOUND from the dash

Check for boost leak between turbo and intake manifold might see oil stains where its leaking

GOOD things
1. supposedly new injectors
2. supposedly new glow plugs
3. engine runs great, starts pretty easy, except this morning (-12 here at 8 AM) didn't turn over or click or anything batteries were 12.26 volts with meter. after 30 mins on charger it turned over, after 1 hour with block heater plugged in it started right up
4. Trans shifts good, running gear all good, 4x4 works as it should.
5. 4 brand new tires and rims.
6. interior is in pretty good shape for a 20 year old farm truck
exterior isn't too bad, cab corners gone, little rocker rust on passenger side.

I bought it as a toy, I knew it needed most of the things it needs.
I like it

At least that is where I would start.

guyina4x4
02-27-2015, 20:25
At least that is where I would start.

thank you
yes it had a plow on it at some time so I kinda figured all the front end needed looked at.

the divertor linkage is broken, though changing the door positions manually doesn't seem to change anything.

the PO has all the grounds and battery cable ends cleaned up nicely, he did however leave most of the original cables in place, so if it ever warms up that's where I'm starting.

will do on the intake plumbing, look for boost leaks.

thanks again everyone

a5150nut
02-28-2015, 09:40
If it has original battery cables they are suspect. They can corrode inside the insulation.

If you can make new ones using solder on ends and welding cable.

If side post batteries do the stainless bolt and double nut upgrade.

If the PO cleaned the grounds recently I would guess he was having some issues there.

guyina4x4
03-01-2015, 21:17
Well it warmed up a little today so I played around under the hood a bit.
I think I found the source of my nois there was a loose bolt on the upper intake I snugged up and the noise is all but gone now.
Is there a gasket in there I could change?

I think the PO exaggerated a bit about the new glow plugs too. I been wondering about that all along as there is 3 new gp's in the glove box.
e

sctrailrider
03-02-2015, 04:41
There is a gasket where the intake bolts down...

Tighten everything you can get a wrench on....

Dvldog8793
03-02-2015, 05:31
Most likely the 3 new glow plugs should be on the passenger side back three. They can be a real pain to get to. I have "modified" my inner fender for easier access through the wheel well for the middle two and the back one I did from underneath. If you change out these plugs, make sure you have good heat sheaths and good connectors. The plugs are buried in the exhaust manifold and are exposed to allot of heat.
Glad you found your noise!

More Power
03-02-2015, 16:27
When it's cold outside, the HVAC fan motor can make an awful racket. It's due to cold lube in the fan bearings or not enough lube... Not a problem usually once the truck is warmed up - if that's it. I've seen this before.

guyina4x4
04-17-2015, 07:59
it was a leak at the intake manifold.

thanks for the help