PDA

View Full Version : Sending off your trucks ECM for programming or just get one from the seller-Thoughts?

JKlein
03-04-2015, 14:55
I am going to get my ECM programmed (either Heath or SS Diesel) and I was wondering if it made a difference regarding if I should send in the ECM from my truck (which runs great) or just get one from the seller and send mine in for the core charge refund? I thought I had read an older post that said your trucks ECM has the IP timing programmed correctly and getting a replacement might require reprograming the IP timing...I might be wrong.
What are your thoughts?
Thank you!
~GOD BLESS~
john

Dvldog8793
03-04-2015, 15:57
I have had good luck with Heath. I have done both with them. Sent one in for a core and also sent mine in for return. Good people to work with IMHO. The pump timing can be changed with a real ecm interface programmer. Most shops will have one. I use Autoenginuity on my laptop.
If you do a search on this sight you will find the timing setting. Without other modifications your a reprogramed ecm isn't going to show a large difference.

JKlein
03-04-2015, 16:06
I have had good luck with Heath. I have done both with them. Sent one in for a core and also sent mine in for return. Good people to work with IMHO. The pump timing can be changed with a real ecm interface programmer. Most shops will have one. I use Autoenginuity on my laptop.
If you do a search on this sight you will find the timing setting. Without other modifications your a reprogramed ecm isn't going to show a large difference.
OK - Thank you. So if I understand your post correctly then I will have to "reset" the pump timing either if I send in my ECM of if they send me one for a core exchange right?

As for other mods I am planning on the 2.5" crossover pipe, 3" down to 4" down pipe with true 4" exhaust out to the back, cold air intake, I have a new turbo (stock) and am thinking about maybe trying Heaths Hurricaine 7 Compressor wheel upgrade. Then new injectors, glow plugs, dual stat cooling kit with HO water pump and duramax fan/clutch, new belt Turbo Master with the ECM Max E TORK reflash. New glow plugs... All new hosesin front for cooling. 180 degree thermostats, upgraded lift pump, new fuel sock.

Do you think with these plans the reprogrammed ECM will make a difference? I am not looking to drag race - just to feel a return on my investment.

Thank you!

~GOD BLESS~

john

john8662
03-06-2015, 14:54
I'm programming/flashing OBD-II ECM's and can shed a little light.

I know programming the ECM's in the truck does not require re-timing the injection pump. The Learned values were still in place after 20 or so programs.

Also on 1998+ trucks, replacing the ECM also requires a Re-Learn of the Passlock module to the ECM (some automatically re-learn). Programming your same module will also retain the pass lock key.

The Injection Pump timing information is kept in a different place on the ECM, the programming replaces the calibration information, which is not memory where the TDC offset is stored.

John

JKlein
03-06-2015, 15:44
Since my truck is a 1996 (early year 96 as the ECM is still mounted inside cab versus under hood on fender well) I SHOULD send in my ECM and if I do then the injection pump will not need to be retimed.

Sounds great as I was hoping for a plug & play type if install. I appreciate your advice and input.

Thank you!

~GOD BLESS~

john

Scooby
03-09-2015, 09:07
I got mine from Heath years ago. It worked great right out of the box. I took it to a GM mechanic I knew to plug in to his Snap on scanner and relearn the TDC offset, as I thought it would make a difference. I didnt notice anything when we were done, so I think some may "learn" themselves.

john8662
03-09-2015, 12:59
1996 and 1997 are the easiest years to swap out.

You can initiate a TDC learn using the Key-On Key-Off programming method. This just tells the current or new computer to do a quick initiation of a TDC Learn. This is where the computer learns where the injection pumps position is.

Now, if it's outside of the range and you don't have a scan tool, you won't know which way it's out. It will set a code.

if it's in range, it will work but you won't know where it's set at.

1996 and 1997 don't have the passlock system, so no issues there.

It's up to you on downtime.

BTW: All 6.5TD trucks have the ecm inside the cab. This was even on 2002 Model 3500HD 6.5TD Equipped trucks.

John