PDA

View Full Version : 2003 LB7 won't start...

griff901c
03-08-2015, 09:27
..after being parked at an angle over night. Fuel filter loses prime and needs to be pumped to start again.

Anyone else have this problem?

DmaxMaverick
03-08-2015, 09:40
This usually indicates a fuel system (air) leak, and/or a failed filler cap vent. It can be exaggerated with a low fuel level in the tank. Try to repeat the issue, only try it with the fuel cap loose (loosen when it's parked and still warm, and leave it loose until after a start), then with a higher fuel level, but change only one condition at a time.

griff901c
03-08-2015, 09:44
Thanks!. I've had the hard start warm problem before and was told it was the injector pump.I'll try the loose cap and get back to you all.

DmaxMaverick
03-08-2015, 10:18
A hard warm start is rarely caused by the pump. More likely is the injectors. If that's the only symptom, the hard start, with no excessive smoke or rough running, it's best to accommodate the condition as best you can, and start saving for an injector job. However, neither should cause the fuel issue you are seeing now.

griff901c
03-08-2015, 10:59
I think when it does happen my fuel tank is around 1/4 tank. I'll try the filler cap trick.

I ran the batteries dead trying to start it the other day. I just moved from California to Washington State and since I sold my house I may be in the market for a new Duramax. I do tow a 30' 5'er and really need a Duramax. When that time comes I will be sure to read up on pro's and con's on this board. Thanks again.

Kennedy
03-18-2015, 07:39
A lift pump is a necessary thing in my opinion and adding one will prime the system before starting so no need to work the hand pump.

griff901c
04-10-2015, 18:09
A lift pump is a necessary thing in my opinion and adding one will prime the system before starting so no need to work the hand pump.

Thanks. I am thinking of getting a new truck. Still recommended?