PDA

View Full Version : Performance

arrowheadracing
01-17-2005, 20:01
Well due to winter, I always looked forward to atleast driving my trucks in the snow and fishing tailing a little here and there. They ( gas ) where always crisp and responsive in the winter. Wish I could say that for my 6.5. But after talking to a couple of powerstroke owners while filling up at the pump, they also reported very diminished mpg and performance. Which everytime I fill up I ask the guy next to me ( if hes a diesel ) how his is running. I noticed at the particular station I go to , that most of the guys say lousy. At the others I dont get as negative response. So the other day while filling up, the other guy says he has had trouble here a few times with the fuel in his tractor. Which makes me think that maybe this stations fuel is inferior to the other stations. I ll be testing another station after this tank.

Now on a cheerful note, my new 1127 cc gsxr motor is getting ready to be stuffed into its little 750 cc frame. Should be good for 44 mpg and 10.00's 130 ish 1/4 miles. Now if I could only figure out how to add a trailer hitch to it and be able to pull 10,000 lbs with it !!!!

And one last thing. I jacked up the back of the truck and finally did a axle ratio count. 4.10's. Dealer invoiced and production sheet says it has 3.73s. Guess someone wasnt paying attention when they put the axles in the truck that day.

Todd

Tough Guy
01-17-2005, 20:28
Try using a good fuel additive. I use Power Service (white bottle) in the winter, lubes pump and injectors and adds Cetane which will revive the "pep"....use lots and use it EVERY fill-up.

Cheers

gmenor
01-18-2005, 01:47
Up yonder where you live they are using winter grade fuel to help prevent gelling. I commute to Fredericksburg, VA where some stations switch to this grade. Filled up once with that fuel and it was like driving a brick (no performance and lousy mileage). I been using the Stanadyne (Red bottle) fuel additive and it really increased both mileage and some performance (dramatic increase over Power Service additive).

arrowheadracing
01-18-2005, 04:09
I ve learned that just recently about the fuel grade switch to winter grade. Which I just bought my truck in Oct. So I didnt have much time to see what it was like long before they switched to winter fuel. I went from 17-18 mpg to 13-14 all in a short time. I ll have to try some additives. Today its -1 outside. Yeah I love winter. Everyday I keep thinking move to Arizona.

Thanks
Todd

mklein
01-18-2005, 09:14
Todd, I don't know where in Michigan you are at, but in the Detroit area I have found our fuel quality to be all over the map. I have not found a fuel station that gets us consistent good quality fuel. I can, however, find quite a few who can consistently deliver poor fuel. We've had some success with additives, but still see a lot of variance between tank fulls. It makes calibration work and emissions testing a nightmare!

arrowheadracing
01-18-2005, 11:15
Yeah I am starting to wonder that myself. When I used to run my heavy street strip car on the street there was a station ( now closed ) that ran a good 94 octane that was good to get me to and from if I didnt hit the loud pedal. He also sold VP race fuels. He was always consitant. Now that he is gone, I have to order my fuel. Even then I think its questionable. I am just too damn picky.

Todd

BTW Located in Romeo

patrick m.
01-18-2005, 11:30
thats odd, i notice an improvement in power in the cold temps.

but then, they dont switch fuels here.

diesel65
01-18-2005, 12:39
Gmenor,
You should be using the blue bottle formula during the winter months.

Stanadyne came out with the red formula bottle for summer use when you don't need the anti-gelling and the cetane boost, it was also to help cut cost because you only need 4oz. per 30 gals vs. 8 oz. per 30 gals of the Stanadyne blue formula.

I use both for the lubricity factor.

gmenor
01-18-2005, 15:08
Diesel65,
I live in the Sandhills region of NC and I have not seen winterized fuel sold here but, I am not saying they don't either. But I bought a tankful of winterized fuel up in Fredericksburg, VA last year and power and mileage went down. I'll pick a bottle of the blue label and check it out. Thanks for the info

charliepeterson
01-18-2005, 19:37
In the winter especially I stay with the high turnover stations. I use the Stanadyne fuel additive as well.
I love the winter because the cold dry air makes lots of power in my truck. I swear I picked up an extra pound this morning climbing this bridge hill into work this morning. 2*F. today.