PDA

View Full Version : Trouble starting when hot outside . . .

MajMike
04-08-2015, 17:39
Twice now I have parked my truck in the sun for over an hour while out and about and both times it has been very hard to start, anybody else ever had this problem?

Dvldog8793
04-08-2015, 18:10
Sir-
Can you define hard to start?
Is it turning over like it should without starting or is it turning over slower than it should?
Are you sure it is related to the sunny parking spot?
My 1984 has hot start issues but not because of the sun. It needs glow plugs all the time and the glow control does not think it so, I installed a bypass button and now it starts great.

MajMike
04-09-2015, 16:53
Batteries and starter are new, I think it's that the glow plugs are not coming on since the temp is so high. I need advice on how to add a manual switch on the glow plugs (I'm going to replace them too, got an extra set as parts when I bought the K5).

Dvldog8793
04-10-2015, 04:11
Sir-
I have two vehicles of the same vintage. Both with glow plug "buttons"
All I did was use a tractor starter button(CARQUEST or Napa) with a lead to 12V+ to the signal stud on the glow relay. The Wait circuit still functions as it should and I can also add time or cycle manually. I would not eliminate the original temp sensor. Maybe update to the newer more reliable style. There is information on this sight with parts listings and procedure for doing that, just do a search.
Hope this helps....

MajMike
04-10-2015, 10:24
Sir-
I have two vehicles of the same vintage. Both with glow plug "buttons"
All I did was use a tractor starter button(CARQUEST or Napa) with a lead to 12V+ to the signal stud on the glow relay. The Wait circuit still functions as it should and I can also add time or cycle manually. I would not eliminate the original temp sensor. Maybe update to the newer more reliable style. There is information on this sight with parts listings and procedure for doing that, just do a search.
Hope this helps....

DD, I am retired so no sir required, I just used the MajMike handle as every other one I tried with Mike in it was taken, turns out there are a lot of Mikes out there, who knew?

More Power
04-10-2015, 10:45
Using glow plugs when the engine temperature is above 70-80 degrees is masking the true problem.

Either poor fuel atomization (weak/worn out fuel injection system), not enough timing advance, low compression, or low cranking speed are more likely the root cause.

Dvldog8793
04-10-2015, 12:51
MP is 100% correct. The hot start issue is a tired engine or injection system issue. Personally, I am just waiting for a better reason to pull the engine....getting by with more glow for now;)

wdkingery
04-12-2015, 21:26
I had a 6.9 Ford diesel that did that- turns out it had leaky return line hats on top of an injector or two, and the lines would drain back into the tank while the truck sat, causing hard start when warm.

joeq
04-20-2015, 14:24
In reference to the glow plug bypass, I too did this because my controller crapped out, and keeps going up in price. After the 2nd or 3rd one went, that's when I put on the bypass. But if the glowplugs themselves are defective, bypassing a good controller won't help much. Hope you get it figured out.

Rhaegon
10-13-2015, 14:46
Twice now I have parked my truck in the sun for over an hour while out and about and both times it has been very hard to start, anybody else ever had this problem?
I am having the same problem. Did you ever figure it out?

trbankii
10-14-2015, 01:54
I am having the same problem. Did you ever figure it out?

Using glow plugs when the engine temperature is above 70-80 degrees is masking the true problem.

Either poor fuel atomization (weak/worn out fuel injection system), not enough timing advance, low compression, or low cranking speed are more likely the root cause.

MP is 100% correct. The hot start issue is a tired engine or injection system issue. Personally, I am just waiting for a better reason to pull the engine....getting by with more glow for now;)

Pretty much this.