PDA

View Full Version : I can't see!

pgoldstein
10-31-2003, 19:05
I am sure that this has come up before but I have to ask anyway. The composite headlamp covers on my 97 K3500 are so fogged up that my low beams are useless. Should I replace them or try to convert them to sealed beams? Any advice would be a great help.

VinDiesel
10-31-2003, 21:37
Maybe you have helped me with your question. My low beams are pretty bad and got no real noticeable improvement after installing the Headlight Booster (this was a big disappointment). The "external" covers are not fogged but the little circular piece that sits inside and in front of the lamp looks like a frosted light bulb, especially on the driver's side. I thought this was for oncoming traffic but something needs to explain the poor performance of the low beams. So I too would welcome any advice on the question of what to do. I would also like to add: any thoughts/experience re HID? One option I have considered is leaving the hi's alone and only converting the lo's to save money. Heck, you use the lo's most of the time anyway. Any advice greatly appreciated.

pgoldstein
11-01-2003, 07:13
The plastic covers over my headlights feel like 400 grit sand paper over the low beam side. The high beam side looks and feels fine. I actually polished the plastic and it got a lot smoother but it still looks like a bathroom window. I think the problem is the result of driving for 140,000 miles on hot days with the daytime running lamps cooking the plastic.

Sealed beams would be a huge improvement.

patrick m.
11-01-2003, 18:51
you can wet sand the lenses with 1500 grit paper, then high speed buff with an acrylic polish and they will look crystal clear.
i did this once on a dodge avenger, the amount of work, however, is worth the money to buy replacements.