PDA

View Full Version : Crankcase ventilation on military take out?

teeth
04-12-2015, 20:03
Hi guys,

I just replaced the original 6.5l in my 1997 Chevy Express 2500 (center mounted turbo style like Hummers) with a military take out from Teds trucks (these guys were absolutely great), but I am finding a few differences that have me a little puzzled.

1. My original 6.5 had a hole in the valve cover for the CDR valve, but the military engine does not. How did the military engines get around having this? I found HMMWV CDR valves on ebay that look different but I can't find where it would install..

2. Is this all the crankcase ventilation on these engines? If not, what else am I missing?

I will give Teds a call in the morning but I figured you guys would have a little insight for me incase they don't have a quick answer for me.

Thanks in advance!

john8662
04-13-2015, 07:30
You need to swap on the correct valve cover, one with the CDR vent on the correct bank (above cylinders 2,4,6,8).

J

teeth
04-13-2015, 08:07
Thanks John8662, but that is what I am trying to avoid (its pretty much ready to run, and in a van its no fun to take the covers off). I'm looking for what the military does in lieu of having a port in the valve cover, they don't just run it with nothing, right? And what about crankcase ventilation?

AsphaltCowboy
04-13-2015, 08:15
I just had the same issue with my Ted's engine. I just swapped the valve cover from my old engine.

If you don't want to go that way then I believe they used a different oil filler spout which had a port for the CDR valve.

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad248/AsphaltCowboy90/IMG_5466_zpsekhev0kf.jpg (http://s940.photobucket.com/user/AsphaltCowboy90/media/IMG_5466_zpsekhev0kf.jpg.html)

teeth
04-13-2015, 09:04
Thanks AsphaltCowboy, that is exactly what I am looking for! Any pics from the back so I can see where it vents from?

teeth
04-13-2015, 09:52
Nevermind, just found out its on the intake horn. Thanks guys, I knew you guys would have this figured out.