PDA

View Full Version : '99 K2500 6.5, Sudden strange noise near Turbo

vernon
10-31-2003, 21:55
A few days ago, I started my 99 K2500 Suburban 6.5 TD (103,000 carefully maintained miles) and felt a peculiar "vibration" and a noise that I've never heard before. I opened hood, noise seemed to be worse near the Turbo. When I shut the truck off, it makes a metallic "clanking" noise ( I thought, Great, the turbo AND my crankshaft).
After getting it straight home, a friend noticed that the Harmonic balancer Pulley was loose (you could move the serpentine belt an inch or so either way).
Would the Harmonic Balancer make such an awful "Clunk" when the truck is shut down, and would the noise (almost sounds like rough bearings) travel as far as the Turbo Area?

HELP!!!
Vernon Sutton
Pensacola, Florida

BTW... Yes, I have purchased a new Harmonic Balancer and Oil Seal. I guess that'll be my weekend project!

turbovair
10-31-2003, 23:01
Replace the crank pulley ASAP!!Its bolted to the balancer via 4, 15 MM bolts. On mine the rubber portion tore and the outer and inner metal portions clanked together rather obnoxiously.Get under the truck, look carefully and you can see it.

rjschoolcraft
11-01-2003, 07:14
Ditto turbovair's reply. Your crank pulley is shot.

pannhead
11-01-2003, 07:42
just replaced mine a while back...it does sound like you lost an engine when these go bad...easy fix and $70 at NAPA....dealer wanted over $200 :eek:

mhagie
11-01-2003, 15:02
When a diesel engine stops it stops now.
w/balancer loose it will continue to move after crank stops, hense the noise.
The Dodge boys trucks will screech their belts when they shut down.
Following previous posts is recomended highly.