PDA

View Full Version : How cold before plugging in ?

george_01
01-18-2005, 14:04
How cold should it be before plugging into block heater? It was 10 degree F this morning. Block heater was not plugged in. Was not in a situation were it could be plugged in. Cranked hard and long. Sheared starter bolts! Never seen that before! Had it towed. When its repaired what should I do to prevent this in the future under similar conditions? :eek: Thanks,George

rjschoolcraft
01-18-2005, 14:13
Make sure the bracket at the front (in truck terms) of the starter is in place. Sheared bolts usually occur when this bracket is missing.

Plug in anytime it's below freezing. Some plug in any time below 40F.

Dvldog 8793
01-18-2005, 14:22
Howdy
If your truck didn't start in 10* I think I would check the following:
(1) glow plugs
(2) battery power & conections
(3) fuel regular #2 will start to gell/wax at 20*

I am a faithful believer in the good old torque wrench for starter bolts. Every oil change I check my bolts. When I was in the Marines, I was in charge of about 35 trucks with 6.2s in them. I kept 6 or more starter bolts on hand as it was a terminal problem. When I started retorqueing the bolts the problem went away. I would retorque them in a week or so after the install.

It gets way cold here and I start plugging my truck in at around 30*. The amount of time the truck is plugged in before starting varies with the temp. The other night it was -40*F, the truck stayed plugged in all night and when I started it in the morning the oil temp was at 80*. she popped off like summer time :D The Leather seats are still mighty cold!
Hope this helps!
L8r
Conley

arrowheadracing
01-18-2005, 14:38
DVL where do you have your oil temp plug located. I ve been thinking of adding one as the oil drain plug with a quick disconnect. Just thought it would be more convient to do that then to drill and weld a bung someplace.

Thanks
Todd

Kennedy
01-18-2005, 14:48
I like to run an oil pan heater to help the bottom end. The oil in the pan will still be mighty cold with the block heater plugged in...

patrick m.
01-18-2005, 17:23
A couple years ago, i worked with an ex-army guy. He used to be stationed in Alaska and had a 94 Z-71 gasser.

He had coolant pump type heater, heater pad on the oil pan, and a heater pad on the trans pan.

did something with the batteries as well, though i dont remember what.....all of this still wasnt enough at times.

Dvldog 8793
01-18-2005, 18:36
Howdy
When I plug in, it is a 350watt pan heater, stock block heater and a 2amp smart battery charger. This combo has worked VERY well in temps all the way to -45*F. After I start the truck i still let it warm up for about 5 - 10min.
My oiltemp sensor is a bung that I welded into the pan. The fewer conections the better in my book.
L8r
Conley Janssen

Wheat Whacker
01-18-2005, 18:43
At 10 above it should pop of fairly well. I would check the glow plugs and battery's first if it was me. I have started mine as low as -10 before without plugging it in those JK quick heats make a big difference as well. I usually plug mine in at 0 or less to help it out.

george_01
01-19-2005, 07:30
Thanks Guys...Batteries good.gonna have mech check for braket on starter. How do you check glow plugs? Truck still in shop. wont start work on it till friday. Good mech. but not a diesel mech. Snow comming over next 3 days. Have to relye on my 96 aspire.(OMG) Might be doing some walking. Want to have truck right when its done. Been using fuel additive that suppose to prevent gelling and boost c-tane. Of course I'm gonna plug in when I can. Just some times I can't. Great idea " block heater,oil pan heater,and trickle charger all in one". Thanks again keep Ideas comming.....Thanks

Wheat Whacker
01-19-2005, 18:32
How old are the glow plugs are they originals? If they are you might be just as well to replace the whole lot of them if you want to do it right. I was very happy when I replace my original with JK's quick heats. I had 2 bad ones and it still started alright but with those new quick heats wow what a difference.
Just my 2 pennies worth.

george_01
01-20-2005, 21:09
Don't know how old the glow plugs are. Bought it used last spring. However since it didn't fire off well I think I'll take your advice and have them replaced....Sure can't hurt.....Gotta help. Thanks...

Truenorth
01-21-2005, 04:45
I have a 97 1500 and my cut-off for plugging it in is about -15C(5F). Any colder than that I plug it in as not damage anything.

This morning -30C(-22F) windchill -40C(-40F), plugged it in for 5 hours no issues.