PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on Suburban purchase

DmaxCC6spd
06-12-2015, 06:26
I'm looking to acquire a diesel powered Suburban. I've been out of the 6.2/6.5 loop for over a decade. What are the best years and common problems to look for? I've found a couple, one that has had a ton of work done, and another that is more original, but both are around 200K miles. How long can I expect one of these engines to run reliably? What transmission is used with the diesels? I would appreciate opinions on what to look for in such a vehicle.

Thanks

Dvldog8793
06-12-2015, 06:45
Howdy
IMHO-

Newest vehicle is best, so I think 1999 was the last year for the 6.5 burban.

Try to find out why the "ton of work" was done. Was it to hot-rod or for reliability?

Are both of the engines original or have they been replaced?

If engines are original: Timing set replaced? Harmonic balancer replaced? Head gaskets?

If engines have been replaced can you verify with what?

Have injection pumps/injectors/pmd and lift pump been replaced? Most recent is best. In my experiences 125-150K miles is about the life of these and they are expensive to replace.

The 6.5 burbans were all 3/4 ton drivetrain.(even if they are marked 1/2) Meaning heavier axles and front suspension with 8 lug rims.

With higher miles, transmission service and use will be more critical. If the transmission(4L80E) is original then I would try to verify that it had been serviced regular. I service mine about every 50K miles, I have had VERY good luck with going over 300k miles but have had friends that only got 120k before they had issues(no servicing)

All front suspension should be checked...ball joints, wheels bearings, drive shaft u-joints, Torsion bars.

Rust issues can be serious if the truck was driven in the salt-belt part of the country.

I just bought a 1998 burban and it was a smokin deal but I knew I was going to invest about $2k in it to get it really road worthy. With the truck being that old and high miles PO service/care/use really comes into play.

Hope this helps!
Good luck!