PDA

View Full Version : Got my Hi-Tech retreads today

wilpulu
01-18-2005, 16:23
Ordered 6 245/75/16's on Jan. 3rd and they arrived today (18th). A/T-D style with the green diamond option. They used Michelin casings and they look great. Having them installed tomorrow, since we are supposed to get 4" of the fluffy stuff tonight tomorrow should be a good test as to how well they perform on snow packed roads. If these tires work well I don't think I could ever entertain the idea of spending a grand on tires again. $510 shipped to my door.
I believe the website is www.hitechretread.com (http://www.hitechretread.com)
Anyone else running these? Experiences? I know I read a thread somewhere but can't seem to conger it up with a search.

later...........

wilpulu
01-18-2005, 16:26
Sorry guys..the link should be

www.hi-tec-retreading.com (http://www.hi-tec-retreading.com)

wilpulu
01-18-2005, 16:28
crap..not having a good day here.

www.high-tec-retreading.com (http://www.high-tec-retreading.com)

Keith Richards
01-19-2005, 07:34
I'm surprised they cost that much?I only spend about $650 installed,new tires to boot.I just thought the retreads were cheaper,thats all.

DmaxMaverick
01-19-2005, 10:49
Keith

He's buying 6 at a time.

wilpulu
01-19-2005, 13:57
As far as price goes I figure I'm at least saving myself around $200...The cheapest "new" tires I can find around here are $100 a pop and after installation I'm still looking at a little over $700. 6 BFG's and installation and you're over a grand. If the retreads see 40k I am a very happy camper!!!

Dezman125
01-19-2005, 17:21
Hi
I use Bandag recaps on my tow truck.The tread is called Brawny and it comes siped for ice and snow. If i rotate all 6 tires i can get about 5 yrs out of them.I use my own casings so i know that they are in good shape.Up here it costs about $89 per tire,16"

arrowheadracing
01-19-2005, 19:16
I ve read about a company called Tomahawk. They do motorcycle tires. They are an airplane company from what I gather and started to do bike tires too. While I am not keen on riding on recaps while only on two ( sometimes one ) wheel, 4 wheels wouldnt be bad. How many times do they really see the heat generated from going 170 mph. I think they would be pretty safe on 4 wheels. Though I am not sure about you guys, but around me 4 bfg 285 75 16 = $450 mounted and balanced.

Todd

DmaxMaverick
01-19-2005, 19:30
Recaps are popular for snow/winter only tires around here. Once the sun comes out and the ground dries up, they are a big no-no. The pavement temps here can get above 150

David_Jennings
01-20-2005, 07:26
I run them. They sent me a bad one that would not hold air, but they replaced it with no additional cost. I have been running them for a year. Recently, Costco stopped rotating and balancing other people's tires, so I'm stuck on the balance part (I can rotate them.) I have noticed cracking though, and Costco's boys said they should be replaced. But come on: these are super duty Michelin casings; so what if there is barely visible cracking? I too have the Green Diamond. I notice that the more I drive, the noisier they get.

arrowheadracing
01-20-2005, 07:51
I am a firm believer in good tires. I lost a tire doing 40 mph on my motorcycle. It just let go. But it didnt shred. I actually like an idiot rode it home 3 more miles where it was almost through to the rim. I only rode about 10 mph back. But as far as cracks are concerned, thats just a tell tale sign that something is wrong. I dont know if you want to trust your truck and possibly pay load on a blow out doing 75 mph on the hway.

Todd

wilpulu
01-20-2005, 15:05
David,
Where are you seeing the cracking? The casings I received look really good. I was a little concerned about running recaps also but I thought I would give them a go. The two year guarantee swayed me into the decision. Also Dave, how many miles have you put on them so far? I do know this, they grip in the snow. I don't load the truck excessively and live in WI so I'm not to concerned about heat in the tires at this point. They do mention on their website that they recap tires for school bus companies along with delivery fleets. Is this any reassurance?