PDA

View Full Version : 'Thin Fuel' Injection Pump ('Arctic' model)

Nacla
08-04-2015, 18:54
Am going to order a new Optimizer engine, soon. I'll be getting it with a new fuel system installed. I have a question concerning the (mechanical) fuel injection pump.

One Option:

Stanadyne offers (what has been described to me as) a 'Thin Fuel' IP option.

I can see the 'pros' in going for this IP option. Apparently these IPs have hardened components which hold up better with thinner fuels. I suspect they could handle JP-4 or kerosene in an emergency scenario, especially if 2-cycle synthetic engine oil was mixed in.

Factors:

Up in my neck of the woods, we see extreme cold temperatures (-40F and colder) for weeks on end most winters.

What is sold here, at the pump, is #1 ULSD for 7 months or so of the year.

The Optimizer will be set up with the factory 20.2:1 compression ratio pistons, and the IP set to provide fuel for 205 hp. (Numbers from the AMGeneral website.)

Question:

Does anyone know of any 'cons' I should consider, concerning this 'Thin Fuel' ('Arctic' model) pump?

What say you?

Dvldog8793
08-04-2015, 19:13
Howdy
I just had a pump rebuilt. I like to think my shop is a good one and that they know what's what.
They asked if I wanted hardened parts for the new dry fuel. I asked what price was...$300 difference.
I then asked why should I? He said it probably wouldn't make much difference for me as I use an additive religiously. (I have two pumps in service that have over 200K miles on them)
He said the biggest advantage is for people that do not use a lube additive.
IMHO...if the price was the same I would get it. according to my pump guy...main con is price.
Hope this helps...

Nacla
08-10-2015, 14:04
Thanks Dvldog!

I'm going with the 'Thin Fuel' injection pump, rather than merely replacing my wore out stock IP with the same model.

FYI: I was informed that the minimum fuel delivery setting for the 'Thin Fuel' pump is roughly 200 hp. Not sure what that equates to in mm3, but was assured that it will be suitable for the engine I'm having put together.