PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filtration

Firstoneman
08-05-2015, 02:49
Hello.
I have a new to me 1994 C2500 Suburban with 6.5 diesel.
A friend sold it to me who has several diesels. Said he used a fuel filter with a air bleed and water drain from Wix and sent me a number. That filter will not fit this application. The unit on there is a Napa 3122 (Wix 33122) - that fits a Detroit Diesel 8.2. I can't find a spin-on filter with water drain that will screw on to this mount. Does anyone know of one that would fit? The threads are 13/16 - 12, with outer diameter of 3.663". Otherwise I might need another filtration/mount solution…any suggestions?

Also, with this modification the fuel lines have been adapted…the fuel-out from filter mount uses ⅜" lines and feeds to a little fuel filter with no paper in it that is supposedly used to watch the fuel flow and to see if there is any air in it. The line from that is 5/16" and goes to the IP inlet (which is ¼" fitting). The 5/16" cracked and that's what I replaced. (I have changed the line from the filter mount thru to IP to ¼" and leave out the little fuel filter for now - can revert back easily if a good idea.) If I don't change the filter mount how do I bleed air from this set up? There is some kind of nut on the very top of the mount, that seems centrally located over the filter, wondering if this is how I get rid of air? But there is still no way to get rid of water.

I was told by previous owner that it had once been bio-diesel but reconverted - which I assume is why this filtration mount was installed. The drive from California to Michigan gave me a few minor hassles - which were probably PMD related and I have replaced PMD (now remotely mounted) just the other day. That PMD swap is what brought about the fuel leak that caused me to start on this project (the previous 5/16" line was cracked and nudging it while removing PMD connector helped it along).

Thanks for any assistance. I have tried to find forum info on how to bleed but all the references assume the availability of the air bleed and water drain. I am concerned that I will damage the IP or glow plugs if I purge the air by attempting to start the Burb with several 15 second or so "on-offs" til air gone.

Thanks. David

Firstoneman
08-05-2015, 19:13
Okay…
I have scrubbed the Napa 3122 Detroit Diesel 8.2L filter base as primary filter unit - it is supposed to be a secondary filter. Called Baldwin to discuss the issue. They recommended a solution to bring me into a better situation. I will use a FB1301 filter base as a primary. That will get me started. I can bleed air off the top and have the fuel water separation filter. I can also add a secondary if I want…which could be another Baldwin on the DD 8.2L base. Or use a different Baldwin altogether. Now I know what I've got and am happier with the setup.

Cheers!
Dave