PDA

View Full Version : converting a 6.5 Optimizer to mechanical injection pump?

JohnSD
08-09-2015, 08:21
Newbie Diesel fan. I've been gleaning info from you guys for a few years now. Thank you
My question today is: does anyone have experience converting specifically a 6.5 Optimizer to mechanical injection? I have already had it done to a 6.5TD with the help of Bobby Martin's free guide. I have a line on a gently used 2006 optimizer that I'd like to use in a swap and I want to make sure there are not any limitations to the conversion due to slight changes in the intake or anything else. As I mentioned, I have already converted a 6.5 TD to DB2 but I am looking for specific experience with the Optimizer. Thank you in advance for your time & help! God bless

trbankii
08-09-2015, 11:32
The Optimizers were designed to retrofit back for every 6.5L engine application with little or no modifications. However, that was for military applications - which typically used the center mount turbo.

My understanding is that the angle of the intake manifold bolts is different. The naturally aspirated or side-mount turbo applications have bolts that are at 90 degrees to the intake manifold surface. Intake bolts that are at 60 degrees to the intake manifold mounting face are found on the center-mount turbo manifold.

I haven’t looked into what would need to be done to change things to accept the NA or side mount turbo intake manifold.

Kennedy
08-11-2015, 14:15
AMG offers the P400 and the Optimizer series 6.5 engines. Either one should be available with either both side or center mount turbo config and the appropriate heads for the application. The issue with the P400 I am told is that the cast pan/girdle does not fit the 4x4 trucks so I have not had much dealing with this particular engine.