PDA

View Full Version : boost, or lack of

1bad383
11-02-2003, 18:45
Towing my car to the track today I noticed my newly installed boost gauge doing odd things. First off, all connections are good. The problem is sometimes the boost will hover around 5psi under load, with a little more going up hills. Sometimes there will be no boost, same condtions. Tried shutting off engine to reset something, didnt work. Just had to deal with no boost for a while, what a turd with no boost. Check engine light came on when the boost dropped, then went out when it came back.....other times, the gauge will randomly go from 3 to 9 on moderate acceleration and then settle down a bit. All in one night! :confused: Is this a common issue, like a boost actuator, or something else?? Thanks for any help! '94 one ton 205,000mi still running good, most of the time.

whatnot
11-02-2003, 18:52
If you have a code 78 then it is probably the wastegate solenoid. It is above the driverside valve cover.
If it isn't the solenoid then it is probably the vacuum pump.
If it is the vacuum pump then it is cheaper to just get a turbomaster and then you can just remove the pump and use the shorter cheaper belt.

turbovair
11-02-2003, 19:31
Check for vacuum leaks between the pump and wastegate actuator too.