PDA

View Full Version : End of the Road: Banks ending Sidewinder production

TrenchFoot
08-12-2015, 19:29
Just got an email from Banks that they're ending production of the Sidewinder for 6.2 engines:

http://assets.bankspower.com/enews/2015/endoflegend/enews/End-of-Legend_hdr2.jpg

"In 1984 Gale Banks released the first production performance upgrade kit for a diesel truck, and an industry was born. In the following 31 years many things have changed in the diesel performance aftermarket, but one thing has remained constant, the kit that started it all. Sold since 1984 the Banks Sidewinder upgrade kit for Chevy and GMC 6.2L trucks is finally coming to a point where manufacturing as a production kit no longer makes business sense. We will continue for the short term to offer this kit as a specialty kit, but unfortunately that means the cost will rise significantly; up to 33% for some variations. This change will also affect our Ford 6.9L and 7.3L Sidewinder kits that fit 1989-93 trucks. The price changes will be effective September 1st, and will affect these kits, in addition to some of our other legacy products.

Our goal is to provide a chance for those who have been looking at products we offer for older trucks an opportunity to purchase at current prices. If you own an older Truck, Jeep or Motorhome, give us a call at 800-510-5047 to see if you are affected by any of the changes to our legacy product lines."

So while there's some deals to be had if you haunt the junkyards and ebay, if you want a new kit you'd better get on it, prices go up on September 1st. Summit Racing still has the 21002 kits a little cheaper than Banks sells them, but they're not in stock and are instead dropped shipped from Banks so this won't last either.

trbankii
08-13-2015, 08:11
I’d be curious how many 6.2L kits they’ve even sold in the past year (five years?). I’d assume anyone considering it has done it by now, although there are still some government trucks coming out through the auctions that people are picking up.

TrenchFoot
08-13-2015, 08:23
I'll bet it happens a bit more than you'd suspect. I bought my kit a few years ago for a (still unfinished) diesel swap into my Jeep. A new Banks kit seemed like the easiest path to more power. Most members of this board are so well versed in these engines and know where to get 'all the right bits' that it may seem irrelevant. But for a new guy with a new project, it's easier to just buy a complete kit online.

That said, it obviously isn't happening often enough.

trbankii
08-13-2015, 09:32
I figured there were people buying them. As I say, I’ve been seeing a number of 6.2L trucks go through GovLiquidation over the past year. With all the “facts” out there about how terrible the 6.2/6.5L engines are, I’m sure a lot of them get swapped out for gasoline engines. But like you say, throwing a turbo on is a good option as well.

But I’m just curious what the actual numbers may be. Under 100 a year? Over 1000?

patracy
08-13-2015, 13:47
Wonder if they have any of the manifolds for the turbos that sat at the far right corner of the engine?

sctrailrider
08-14-2015, 03:05
The later manifold can still be bought, the early one can't .....

I got lucky and found a complete motor with the early kit, all I needed was the one manifold...

Subzilla
08-14-2015, 09:37
I saw the email, too. I've always been surprised they kept making the kits this long. Always wanted one but found a used ATS kit instead some 5 years ago. Wish I would have done it sooner!! Could still use one for the K5....will hunt for another used one. $2k is a pretty penny!

garysleeman
08-19-2015, 18:05
They discontinued the GMT 400 parts a couple of years ago. I tried to purchase a downpipe and crossover 6 months ago with no luck. Had to get them fabricated.

joeq
08-20-2015, 20:16
It seems the 6.2 isn't just dying at Banks, but also on this site. Doesn't seem to be any interest in it anymore. At least here. Maybe the Duramax is what's keeping this site alive.

Robyn
08-21-2015, 07:08
Sadly the 6.2/6.5 have reached the twilight of their years.

The last 6.5 civy production from GM was IIRC in 2000 maybe a tad later.
The 6.2 was 93 with some stragglers a bit longer (mil stuff)

These venerable rigs are still out there soldiering on, but they are all getting gray around the muzzle now, including their owners in many cases :D

Certainly from a business viewpoint, keeping the kits on the shelf does not make good sense any longer.

The Dmax has seen many updates and has certainly carried the torch forward for GM

Sad to see the end of an era, but it's the logical progression of things

Missy

trbankii
08-21-2015, 07:38
As Robyn says, the 6.2 is over twenty years old at this point and many people have moved on. Those still using them probably know the tricks and such to keep them running so are less likely to visit the forum, so not a whole lot of activity - or they can find their answers from searching the forums.

I just picked up the ’94 Yukon and have been asking some questions about it. And the ’93 K2500 will be requiring some attention, so I’ll post the progress with it.

I haven’t had any experiences with the Duramaxes, so I haven’t ventured over to that side of the forum to see how active it is.