PDA

View Full Version : Storing my truck

vandej
11-03-2003, 08:34
I plan on storing my truck over winter since I only use it to pull the fifth wheel. I have heard owners of gas engine vehicles using fogging oil as part of their storage routine. IS the natural lubrication in the diesel fuel good enough so that I don't need this type of product? I plan on letting it sit all through winter in Wisconsin. The weather up here means it can be damp as heck for a week and then below zero the following week. Why do I live here? smile.gif

thanks,
Jason

LanceW
11-03-2003, 13:29
Get an additive with fuel stabilizer... I can't remember offhand if the normal diesel treatments include that, but I am sure it is available at marine-supply places. I would run a full treated tank, then refill and re-treat before storage. I am a pu**y though, and usually worry too much.

some say change the oil before storage, some say afterward, some say don't bother. Again, I'm a pu**y, use your own judgement.

Make sure you cover your air intake, exhaust pipe, and any other critter-friendly places. Mice suck.

Unhook your batteries. Put it away clean and cover it.

Actually, the smartest thing you could do is hook your trailer up and haul the whole thing to the Florida Panhandle until april... :D

tom.mcinerney
11-05-2003, 19:01
Fogging oil might well combust. If use, turn over cold with injection pump&glo-plugs off. If not maybe crank over real cold with no glow, won't start; get cheap lube spray from injectors. Either way run for a while [at full temperature] to dry out crankcase and head airspace (on a dry-weather day) before shutdown.
It's definitely better to store with freshly changed motor oil--the idea being that combustion byproducts and sulfur in fuel are corrosive, you want fresh oil in the bearings so they don't tend to corrode while sitting. DO turn it over to establish oil pressure/prime after oil change.