PDA

View Full Version : Air Bag Sensors

tufcj
09-01-2015, 13:44
2003 2500HD D/A. I just replaced my second air bag sensor last night. I replaced the right a couple of years ago, now the left. Darn little sensors are close to $250 at the dealer. I bought the last from GM Parts Direct for around $140. I found you can now get a Dorman replacement for about $85, but still expensive for a 1" cube. I opened the first bad one up, and could see corrosion on the printed circuit, nothing on the second.

Anyone else had these fail?

Bob
tufcj

More Power
10-22-2015, 12:01
I've not had this problem with my 2001.

I wonder if this corrosion problem is specific to year model or if this problem spans more than a few model years?

What state do you live in? Do you think it's road de-icer (salt) that is affecting the sensors?

tufcj
10-23-2015, 14:20
I live in Colorado. Denver area. They seldom salt here, but they do use mag-chloride. It plays hell with aluminum parts, particularly wheels, so the truck gets a good wash down top and bottom with my pressure washer every week or so during the winter (whenever the temp is above freezing). These are potted and sealed units, so water and chemicals shouldn't get in. Maybe it's the mag chloride, maybe the pressure washing. My buddy with an 04 hasn't had any problems.

Bob
tufcj

More Power
10-26-2015, 14:34
The one consolation here is that the sensors lasted for 10+ years. A replacement set will likely last as long.

The cause could be a poor potting or possibly corrosive moisture wicking in through the wiring.