PDA

View Full Version : PMD Question

keistone
07-29-2003, 08:37
I have read everywhere about the problems with the PMD and now I have the same problem. Not covered under warranty and the dealer wants $900 for the repair. This may be a stupid question but has anyone attempted to go after GM for this design flaw? It seems rather ridiculous to continue to support this ongoing issue. My 97 3500 only has 78000 miles. If I can't get resolution thru GM I will go to a remote PMD for $500. :mad: Thoughts?

jlog
07-29-2003, 08:55
your warranty on the injector pump which includes the PMD was extended to 11 years and 120 000 miles. If you are not the orriginal owner you might not have the letter from GM outlining this. However, if you search this forum you will find all the info regarding the letter and TSB which all dealers have.

john

keistone
07-29-2003, 13:09
Thanks John. I have talked with the dealer & they refuse to repair under this extended warranty. They claim the FSD is not covered. Any other ideas out there?

Dvldog 8793
07-29-2003, 13:14
Howdy
I just had my pump replaced under warrenty. I'm not the original owner, the truck had 119,850 miles when I took it in. See my post about a great dealer experience. I would call GM or find another dealer, maybe both. GOOD LUCK !!!
L8r
Conley Janssen
USMC 87-93

ucdavis
07-29-2003, 13:31
The most important thing to know about dealers is that they are frequently not the best informed or most customer service oriented people in the world (I may have edited that for violent content).
The warranty is regardless of # of owners, and includes the PMD which is integral to the pump (remote FSDs, though a good idea, might be argued to be not included). Warranty requires dealer to go thru a process to establish that it's the pump (or FSD) before warranty is authorized, but if done , you'll get your warranty.
Dealer doesn't understand warranty or is refusing to understand.
Try another dealer or talk directly to GM.
Others have gone thru 4 iterations w/a dealer to establish that it is covered, but got satisfaction.
Actual warranty wording, BTW is on Members Area page w/a link in the Reference section.

JCM5
07-29-2003, 14:50
Im a third owner of a 96 chevy truck.
I had similar problems with the dealership.
The told me my lift pump was bad and charged me 400 dollars. On the way home, it stalled and the light came back on.
They then replaced the PMD and pump at 118K miles. I now have 135K and no issues. I however could not get my 400 back. The said the pump was bad, I should have asked for the part, but I would have got a bad one from another truck. Regardless, i got a new PMD and Pump and lift pump installed for 400 dollars, im happy.

keistone
07-30-2003, 20:43
I have thank everyone here for the information to stand firm to get my PMD replaced. I confronted the service manager face to face today and after he personally looked at the PMD attached to the fuel pump, he agreed to replace it under warranty. I will post results when I get it back.

Dvldog 8793
07-31-2003, 04:33
Way to go!!!!!!

Turbine Doc
08-08-2003, 23:10
Here is another way to go at them, a bit unethical but if they want to play as a hard case all bets are off in my book as I too had to play the lift pump 1st game, leave the dealer go home pull the center connector from the INJ pump start the truck with disconnected, it won't and sets a bad pump code that requires replacement, reconnect the plug then go back to the dealer and say see it happened again, this time they have a code they have to act on and you get both a new PMD and a pump

JMZ
08-12-2003, 22:31
Yes it will, but dealer will clear codes , first rattle out of the box.