PDA

View Full Version : '93 6.5TD smoking at start-up

Scott D
07-29-2003, 09:44
Hi guys. Its been a while since I've visited this site. It seems that I don't think about looking on here until my truck isn't running up to par.

I've been intending to do the cooling mods and gear drive for a couple of years now, but I never seem to find the time to get to it. Now, I am suspecting that my timing needs adjustment (due to the occasional smoke at start-up and rough idle until it blows out a bunch of smoke.) With 118,000 miles, I suspect that the chain probably has stretched a bit.

Should I have a shop adjust the timing now and again after I get the timing gear installed? Or should I just wait until I get around to get the timing gear installed to have the timing adjusted at that time?

If I try to save a little money on getting the timing adjusted now, will it be harder to get the timing set close when the gear goes in?

Anybody know a diesel shop between Chehalis and Tacoma that can adjust the timing? Should I have a Chevy dealer adjust the timing? :confused:

damork
07-29-2003, 11:04
I did my gears at 161k, and had it timed afterwards. I would not pay for 2 timing jobs if you are going to do the gears soon.

My truck has never started better since adding the gears, it barely makes a turn or two and it is running. White smoke is gone too.

You shouldn't have to move the timing marks much. I retarded the pump maybe 1 mm from where the original scribe marks were and it started just fine after installing the gears. With a mechanical pump, you should be just fine.