PDA

View Full Version : tailgate latch - doesn't.

Ian7
09-16-2015, 15:34
Hopefully simple question. Tailgate on my 2004 Silverado dually just stopped latching today. I lubed the mechanisms at each latch, but they dont "grab" once the gate is pushed closed. Now suspect that the last time I pulled up on the handle to release and open the tailgate, something inside didnt go back to where it was supposed to. Anyone been through this and have a simple troubleshooting idea? thx

DmaxMaverick
09-16-2015, 16:46
If neither side latches, look at the handle mechanism. If you've never been in there, you'll need to remove the bezel to get a good look at it. It's affixed with thin double-sided tape, so have some handy if you want to replace it right away (it's decorative, and has no functional purpose).

Kennedy
09-17-2015, 07:14
And it breaks quite easily ;)

Ian7
09-17-2015, 08:53
Well, popping off the trim piece around the handle did indeed reveal where the mechanism is binding. Liberal use of penetrating oil and the mechanism is as good as new , thanks guys !! .... the trim ring however DID indeed break during removal LOLOL

DmaxMaverick
09-17-2015, 10:08
No biggie. They're not expensive and should be in stock at the dealer or online. It's always nice when the fix is simple.

drcook
09-22-2015, 13:58
I broke the trim ring on my 04.5 2500HD. I was going to buy it from the dealer until I was told that they had to order one and I had to go there to pay for it. Price was $32.00. That got me looking. Autozone stocks Dorman replacement ones of $8.00 (approximate, based on memory). I didn't want to give the dealer 4x what I could simply drive to Autozone and buy it for.

Check Autozone. The Dorman ones look and fit just fine.

Ian7
09-26-2015, 16:57
$32 ???? nah, aint happenin' :-)

when mine "broke" during removal, I should have been more clear.... just the retainer tabs broke off, it was a simple matter of using silicone to put it back in place, and its removable (knock on wood) if necessary again.... :D

More Power
10-02-2015, 05:55
We currently have an in-depth illustrated article on tailgate service available to subscribers. http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/features/tailgatec.htm