PDA

View Full Version : 83 C30 Trailer Sizing (Weight) question

HammerWerf
09-29-2015, 10:36
Folks,

I have a 1983 C-30 crewcab with dual rear wheels. The engine has been upgraded to the L-65 without the turbo. The tranny is the venerable TH-400, and the rear gear is either 4:11 or 4:56 (not sure)

While I live in the Central Valley of California, which is lake bottom flat, I do travel to other parts of the state and country. To get out of the valley, I have to drive over various mountain ranges. So far, in my travels, the most challenging road to get over in my Mercedes ( 1985 300DT) has been the I-40 through Flagstaff to Albuquerque. The elevation is above 5000 ft. all the way.

I am starting to think of pulling a trailer, preferably a ball hitch. I will be using the trailer for both work and play.

What size and weight trailer should I be looking for. I've got the mule, but need some guidance so I don't overload her.

Thanks for your help.

HamerWerf

a5150nut
09-29-2015, 16:54
Check the left door post for sticker with weight ratings for a start. It doesn't matter what motor you have put in it but it is what DOT CHP will go by. Covers chassis, axel, wheel tire, and brake capacity.

CoyleJR
09-29-2015, 18:15
If I remember correctly in 83 on the inside of the glove box door there is a build sheet for the truck. You can get the gear ratio and possibly the GVWR & CGVWR there.