PDA

View Full Version : 4l80e recommended oil

svcattle
09-29-2015, 11:28
What is the recommended oil for the auto trans in my 96 k,2500 .
Thanks .

DmaxMaverick
09-29-2015, 12:03
Dexron-VI.

Previously, Dexron-III was recommended, but GM no longer certifies III, and there is no current standard of quality to ensure the formulation is consistent with previous certified formulations. GM now certifies Dexron-VI as the only GM ATF, and certifies it backward-compatible.

svcattle
09-29-2015, 17:12
Dexron-VI.

Previously, Dexron-III was recommended, but GM no longer certifies III, and there is no current standard of quality to ensure the formulation is consistent with previous certified formulations. GM now certifies Dexron-VI as the only GM ATF, and certifies it backward-compatible.

Thanks for the info I thought I read on here where somebody said not to use VI but that's what I am running that's what Carquests computer said to put in so that's what I got change it and the filter and put a drain plug in the pan and changed it twice more hoping to get as much oil out of the converter as possible

DmaxMaverick
09-29-2015, 20:24
I was skeptical as well, but haven't seen any issues using Dexron-VI in older AT's. The "new" non-GM Dexron-III spec. only recommends it for manual transmissions requiring ATF, but I haven't seen any issues using VI in manuals, either. Dexron-VI was introduced in 2006, and III was discontinued at the same time.