PDA

View Full Version : Oil high

Chevysilver0195
09-30-2015, 05:14
95 6.5 td haven't run it in about 3 weeks I bought it 8 weeks ago with a bad head gasket we replaced it and checked the heads and everything out they're fine. Went to start it last night checked the dip stick and it looked normal it wasn't milky or anything but it was way above the max line. Last time I put oil in it was the right amount this also happens on my 01 Silverado just don't know what it could be

Robyn
09-30-2015, 07:28
Coolant tank is LOW ???

Get a drain pan under it and pop the oil pan plug
Likely a bunch of coolant in the pan.

DO NOT START IT

If you start it the antifreeze/coolant/water will mix through everything and foul the lifters and the cooler with a mess that's hard to clean out.

When you had the head/s off, which cyl was leaking???

Usually it will be a front one that blows out.

If the deck is badly etched they may not seal.

Number 8 cyl (RH REAR CYL) CAN DEVELOP a crack near the top of the cylinder at the rear (About 3/4 inch from the deck down the hole)

Also have seen these engines crack the main webs up into the lower part of a cylinder til it reaches the water jacket.

This was more common on early oil spray blocks ???

Question

When you did the gaskets, did you replace the head bolts ??

At this point the engine needs to come out and apart to get a definitive answer as to where the coolant leak is.

The is a slight possibility that the back plate on the water pump could have a hole in it allowing coolant to leak into the timing cover area.

Check the water pump back plate, if plate ok then yank the engine.

A number 8 cyl leak (crack) will show an etched area on the cyl wall.

A crack in the bottom of a cyl will (unfortunately) require ripping the engine completely apart, get the rods and pistons out and the crank so you can see in there good.

Caution

The rods/caps are not numbered, so stamp them at the part line when you remove them.

Numbers are same as any GM V8

1 3 5 7 on the left from the front to back and 2 4 6 8 on the right

Good luck

Keep us in the loop

Missy

Chevysilver0195
09-30-2015, 08:42
I went to check it again this morning and I saw this. Also exhaust comes out of the dipstick sometimes so I don't know if that's an issue. My coolant level is still high and hasn't moved

Chevysilver0195
09-30-2015, 10:18
What in gods name could be causing this..... just redid the head gasket like 8 weeks ago iv hardly driven it since because something breaks every week. Literally. Anyway Now there is like a gray mucus on my dip stick but only if I really look at it but the oil is still black besides this gray spot and foam was coming out at the very top. Is it possible it's the crap from the last time the head gasket blew or is there something once again wrong with this pile of sh** it's 95 6.5

rapidoxidationman
09-30-2015, 11:03
Sounds like you've either still got water in the oil from the last time OR you've got another coolant leak. Have you run the engine for a good long heat cycle since changing the HG's, in an effort to boil off any remaining coolant? Have you changed the oil since doing so?

Cheap place to start is by running the engine for 30 miles then changing the oil then seeing what shows up. Pay attention to your temp guage while running.

Dvldog8793
09-30-2015, 15:04
If the oil level is high then I would wait until it has sat for awhile and crack the drain plug slowly until you get some drips....most likely it will be antifreeze.
Does this truck have orange extended run antifreeze? I had a 6.5 crack the block and I was running the orange stuff. My oil level did not go up noticeably but the antifreeze kept going down. The orange antifreeze was mixing with the oil enough and formed a black/grey goop that clung to the inside of the block. It was a MESS! but the oil draining out was normalish looking.
Will the coolant system hold a pressure test?
I would expect you have a leak some place due to the head gasket just being changed.
Did you use new bolts? What type of gaskets did you use?

Scooby
10-05-2015, 06:11
Was the oil changed after the head change? Maybe a bunch of coolant went into the oil when the head (s) were pulled and that's why the level increased. From what I have seen it takes a LOT of coolant in the oil on a diesel to make a milkshake in the oil . THe slow leak I have had never made the oil look bad, just turned up in oil analysis. I always use green antifreeze too. That orange stuff seems to scale up a lot.

Robyn
10-05-2015, 09:44
Glycol eats engine bearings, nasty stuff when mixed with the oil.

DennisG01
10-22-2015, 12:18
Take a read through my thread about a similar issue: http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=43784

I would at least get your oil tested ASAP. It will help to narrow down the possibilities.

jrsavoie
10-23-2015, 05:01
Take a read through my thread about a similar issue: http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=43784

I would at least get your oil tested ASAP. It will help to narrow down the possibilities.

Definitely send in an oil sample. It's a good thing to do periodically.

Did you top off the engine shortly after it had been running?

When all the oil drains back in the pan and it has set a while the oil will be over full if you topped it off shortly after shut down.