PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Heads

befland
10-01-2015, 11:04
I'm rebuilding a 1993 6.5 engine. The heads were no good so I had planned on buying new ones. A local guy has a set that came off of a 2000 truck. The engine in his truck was shot and he had planned on rebuilding it. He sent the heads to a machine shop and had them rebuilt to the tune of about $600. Now he's decided to sell the truck but he's selling the heads separately for $450 (never were installed after the rebuild). Two questions:
1) Will the heads work on my 93 block (I assume they will)

2) Are the heads from a 2000 motor "good" heads?

I don't mind spending the money for new ones, but if these are just as good, I don't mind saving $800 or $900 either.

b.

Robyn
10-02-2015, 09:15
Hi

The 2000 heads are still made by GM.
Reworking a set of these heads is not real difficult, but there are some issues that can arise if they are not done just right.

If they are surfaced, were the precups left in the heads ??

If, If, If

For $600 for a set of used GM HEADS ????????

Myself, if I were faced with this issue, I WOULD NOT TOUCH A USED SET OF GM HEADS.

A spanky new set of AM General heads will set you back $1000
These are top notch items and worth every penny if you are gonna keep the truck.

If its a low budget build to "just get by" or if the $$$$$ are a big factor I would order a set of Clearwater imports.

I have used both the AMG and the Clearwater parts, and would do it again in a heartbeat.

The Clearwater heads are $600 to the door and are new castings with zero time on them.

The AMG heads are new castings and have the best and latest casting updates, both in material and design.

The Clearwater stuff is new, and is a copy of the GM heads

I ran a set of CW heads 50k and they were fine, and as far as I know the rig is still doing fine.

Depends on your budget

IMHO
Stay away from rebuilt heads as you just can't see what is inside the casting, as in cracks or whatever.

The heads take a real thrashing due to heat and such and the stress placed on them can't be measured.

Was the engine ever overheated (probably)

Just sayin

Good luck

Missy

coxfmly
10-04-2015, 11:00
I installed a set of CW heads on my Sub @ 200k, I'm now over 250k.

garysleeman
10-12-2015, 18:43
I just purchased 2011 cast date AMG heads that looked good, took them to local shop for cleaning and testing and just as my luck would have it both were cracked. 150 lbs of scrap iron for $400.