PDA

View Full Version : Question about Tranny shop recommended work

JMY19
07-29-2003, 15:15
Back in February I had my tranny rebuilt at cottman transmissions. Last week it started shifting funny so I took it in (100 miles before the end of the warranty) to have it looked at. They told me it will need to be rebuilt again, but also that they would need to replace the ignition switch. They told me that it sends a signal to the solenoids about and wasnt sending the right signal. Have you all heard of this? Does it sound like the two components are even remotely related? Has anyone had it swapped before, if so what were the costs? Thanks for any help fellas.
Jason

JCM5
07-29-2003, 15:23
Wasnt cottman found guilty last week on false transmission repairs? I know one of them was at least.

yes, the ignition does play into the trans, but it only provides 12V to the internal.

If rebuilding it is free from warranty, then do it and pay for this false gremlin ignition problem - my guess only. Otherwise if the plan on charging more then 300 then take it else were and report the issue - wont do much good however.

Personally, like me, if you know a relibale person to rebuild your trans then do that. If you are tight on cash, alot of the colleges that have autoclasses will rebuild the tranny for parts alone. My guess is the job willbe better then cottman.

Dealership will cost in excess of 1500

Bill Voitel
07-29-2003, 20:30
Don't Let them S**T you. No signal Just 12 Volts If the transmission is still making some shifts Its getting power. ask these guys what codes are set in the computer. and MAKE them explane them to you. The more you question these guys the thinner the ice they are standing on will get. As You can tell I have no tolerance for BS like this if they keep it up. Log on to Cottmans web site and go at it. They love to tout the fact that they are members in good standing with the BBB. I did manage a Cottman Store in DSM for about a year went back to AAMCO, Most managers for both companys don't pull stuff like that but a few bad Eggs make everyone look like crooks.

DON'T GIVE UP!
Let us know how it turns out
Good luck

Bill :eek:

tom.mcinerney
07-29-2003, 22:51
When i had a rebuild, shop insisted on new ig switch, app module and interior wire harness for warranty. A couple manufacturers offer for sale a harness addition for 4L80E that uses a relay to supply better power to trans without straining ignition switch.

JMY19
07-30-2003, 14:30
Thanks for the info guys. I went ahead and told them to do the switch. It was only a hundred bucks and the reason its in the shape its in now is because it wouldnt shift out of third and I had to drive it home that way. Bill I was already screwed by them 5 months ago. I had my pan off of the tranny one hundred miles before I had it in their shop and it was clean. I had a lug just after lock up that made me think it was the TCc slipping. While it wasnt the problem I am not too sad because the tranny had 170,000 on it. PLus now I get to smile since the shop which screwed me will end up paying for my warranty rebuild. Guess they should have done it correctly the first time. Ill update you guys in a couple days.

damork
08-13-2003, 12:07
I just installed a Bosch 12V relay to supply pin E at the transmission full battery voltage. This is where those kits supply the power (don't cut the wire - just splice into it). The relay and wires were less than $10, and now I don't need to worry about putting in a $100+ ignition switch.

I've seen the relays they sell and it is so simply to make that it will really surprise you. It is the same kind of relay you use to supply power to your lift pump. I used power coming from fuse ECM1 in the underhood fuse box to trigger the relay (a pink wire).